[AL-Directors] State Library update-please excuse cross posting

MaryKay Dahlgreen marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us
Fri Mar 14 16:22:16 PDT 2014

Please excuse the cross-posting.

[cid:image004.png at 01CF3FA1.904C2E70]

MESSAGE FROM THE STATE LIBRARIAN
March 14, 2014

The 2014 Legislative Session has been completed and there are a couple of items that will impact the State Library and our transformation process that I want to share with you.

You may remember that in the last session, the Legislature held back 2% of every agency's general fund dollars.  I'm happy to report that the 2014 Legislature restored 57% of that holdback.   The $18,616 that was restored to our budget will be used for 2014-15 Ready-to-Read grants.

As a reminder of the timeline of reorganization activities to date:

During the 2011 Legislative session the Workgroup on Libraries and Archives in Oregon State Government was established in response to Budget Note #1 of Senate Bill 5521, which requested that the Oregon Governor's Office, Secretary of State, and Chief Justice jointly develop options pertaining to the consolidation and improvement of library and archives services.  That work resulted in http://library.state.or.us/repository/2012/201201310755152/  a report to the Joint Committee on Ways and Means in the 2012 Session that outlined a number of recommendations to be implemented over several years.

In January of 2013 a reorganization committee was formed that included OSL staff and stakeholders, with assistance from the office of the Chief Operating Officer. At the conclusion of the 2013 Legislative session the State Library had the following note attached to their budget bill (HB 5022):
The State Library and the Department of Administrative Services are directed to submit to the Legislature in February of 2014 a detailed strategic business plan for the reorganization of the State Library. The two agencies are directed to report to the Joint Committee on Ways and Means throughout the interim on the reorganization planning efforts. Additionally, the State Library is directed to hold vacant any current or future vacated or unfilled positions until the Legislature in 2014 approves a reorganization plan for the agency.

At that point, the State Library, working with the office of the COO, engaged the consulting firm Mass Ingenuity to oversee the transformation project. This project is fully documented on this website http://www.oregon.gov/osl/Pages/OregonStateLibraryTransformation.aspx . The result of this work was the Oregon State Library Transformation Project Report to the Interim Joint Committee on Ways and Means which was submitted to the Interim Subcommittee on General Government of the Joint Ways and Means Committee.

The Interim Subcommittee on General Government responded with a http://www.oregon.gov/osl/Transformation/Final%20Library%20Reorganization%20Report-2013.11.06.pdf report, created by Senator Steiner-Hayward and Representative Nathanson that outlined changes to be implemented by the State Library, State of Oregon Law Library, State Archives, and Oregon Historical Society.  The office of the COO provided two project managers to work with the four principal organizations on implementation planning.

In the February 2014 Session:

The Co-Chairs of the Joint Committee on Ways and Means will be establishing a Legislative workgroup "to modernize the delivery of state library services by improving access to public information, eliminating duplicative services and costs, increasing utilization of digital resources, and increasing collaborative partnerships across entities. The workgroup shall recommend draft legislation for introduction in the 2015 legislative session for the reorganization of state library services, which should, where possible; incorporate national best practices pertaining to library reorganizations."

The membership of that work group will be decided by the Co-Chairs and will include "Legislative members, and other members chosen to represent the interests of state library service users and employees."  I will share information about the membership of the work group as soon as it is announced. There will be an opportunity for public input and I will keep you apprised of that as well.

Since the Legislative session has ended, I am taking this opportunity to take a vacation to Denmark. I will be out of the office from March 17th through March 27th and will provide an update when I return.

MaryKay Dahlgreen
Oregon State Librarian
503-378-4367
marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us