[AL-Directors] About LSTA and the Federal Fiscal Year 2016 grant materials

Ann Reed ann.reed at state.or.us
Fri Jan 16 12:53:07 PST 2015

Hello,

You may have noticed that the State Library has not announced the availability of the 2016 LSTA grant packet yet.
The LSTA Advisory Council and the Oregon State Library have been working on making changes to the state's LSTA program. The chief goal is to incorporate the outcomes and lessons learned by grants into future grant projects.  To make this possible, there are changes to the LSTA grant process and timetable.
Oregon's LSTA grant process is changing from a two-step process, with a brief and full proposal, to a one-step process.  We will continue to offer consulting, and commenting on proposal drafts. The requirements for outcome based evaluation<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/resources/OBE/obe.aspx> continue and strengthen.  A big change is the need for projects to stick to a realistic 12 month timeline, with very limited time for extensions.

The proposed new schedule would look like this for competitive (and statewide) projects:
January 2016

LSTA grant packet announced and available electronically

Last 2 weeks in March 2016

A voluntary review group using google docs, or wiki, blog, etc for interested LSTA Council members to leave comments on electronic drafts

January to April 2016

Writing time for full proposal

Mid April 2016

Full Proposals due

Mid May 2016

LSTA Council meets - recommends full competitive proposals to OSL Board

Late May 2016

Library Development mails letter to applicants / sends Council recommendations to Board

Mid-June 2016

Board reviews and approves new competitive grants

Mid-June 2016

Send grant contracts

July 1, 2016

New grants start

September 2016

LSTA Council refines guidelines, best practice, reviews final grant reports (inc. evaluation)

June 30, 2017

Competitive grants end

We will be working with multiple year projects to cope with this change in schedule. We will also be developing methods to integrate the outcomes of grants to inform the grant guidelines.  We appreciate everyone's patience as we try to improve Oregon's LSTA program.

Please contact me with any questions or concerns.

Yours,
Ann Reed

Ann Reed, Federal Programs Coordinator
Oregon State Library
Library Support and Development Services
250 Winter St.
Salem, OR 97301
ann.reed at state.or.us
phone 503-378-5027