[AL-Directors] Important Announcement Re: Skillsoft Access for Oregon Library Staff
darci.hanning at state.or.us
Mon Mar 26 15:07:59 PDT 2018
As you may be aware, the State Library of Oregon has been providing free access to a subset of Skillsoft courses/tutorials/videos for all public, academic, school, and tribal library staff through a multi-state contract managed by WebJunction. Unfortunately, due to declining usage across the participating states, WebJunction has made the decision not to renew this offering after June 30, 2018.
If you're actively using (or have plans to use) Skillsoft, you will want to review your learning goals and plan to complete any courses, etc. provided by Skillsoft before July 1.
Alternatively, here are some additional resources you may find useful:
Please visit your library's website for best access OR if you don't have access to library service currently visit http://librariesoforegon.org/.
* This resource helps adult learners improve the skills required for academic and career success. Popular software tutorials, Internet instruction, and basic computer instruction are also included. Some of the practice tests include GED, COOP, HSPT, SAT, ACT, AP, PSAT/NMSQT, ACCUPLACER, ASSET, and COMPASS, career certification tests such as NCLEX-RN, Praxis I(r) and II, and more. Also included are practice sets and tutorials to develop skills in math, reading, writing, and basic sciences.
In addition, Job and Career Accelerator offers job seekers tools for career exploration, resume and cover letter building, and access to over 5 million job and internship postings. Access these tools by going to the Job and Career Accelerator center on the main LearningExpress Library web site.
Computer and Internet Basics provides video tutorials on digital literacy concepts such as computer safety, Internet searching, and basic desktop navigation. Access the tutorials by going to the Computer Skills Center on the main LearningExpress Library web site.
* A Public Library Management <https://www.edx.org/professional-certificate/michiganx-public-library-management> program is offered by the University of Michigan through EdX. The training program is freely available, or participants can pay to earn a verified certificate. The program includes courses on personnel management, budgeting and finance, and identifying community needs.
* Lesson include a mix of text, video, interactives, and challenges to practice what you've learned. Topics include: Microsoft Office software (XP, 2000, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013 and 2016), technology (computers, email, Internet, Linux, Mac OS, Online Safety, and Windows), work and career (planning, search, money, and workplace skills), social media, hardware (from laptops to tablets to smart phones) and more. Visit their topics page<https://www.gcflearnfree.org/topics/> - all learning resources are FREE.
Microsoft Office 365 Training Center<https://support.office.com/en-us/office-training-center>
* The training center offers free tutorials ranging from short targeted videos to longer courses for users of all levels, from novice end user to IT professionals.
* This service continues to be available for direct licensing from Skillsoft. If you are interested in continuing with Skillsoft, please let me know and I can connect you with a representative.
* Your organization can purchase annual subscriptions to cover public library staff, at a cost of approximately $300-360 per license per year (depending on volume). Each license can be reassigned up to twice per year, as staff leave or no longer need to use their license. You would have access to an administration module for issuing and managing these licenses.
* One-month licenses start at $19.99, and are a good solution for needs that are focused on particular skills.
Udemy for Business<https://www.udemy.com/>
* Similar to Lynda.com, an annual subscription is available for unlimited Udemy for Business courses. Courses can also be purchased one at a time, and allows you to send a course as a "gift" to any email address.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Darci Hanning, MLIS
Technology Development Consultant
darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> | 503-378-2527 | www.oregon.gov/osl/ld<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/ld>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/orlibsupport> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/ORLibSupport> | Tumblr<http://www.statelibraryor.tumblr.com/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>
Ask me about the Edge Initiative<http://oregonedge.net/>!
[cid:image005.png at 01D31C27.4B9FEA30]
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 15548 bytes
More information about the AL-Directors