[Answerland] Looking for tutoring sites

Cathy Camper cathyc at multcolib.org
Thu Dec 1 08:53:37 PST 2016

Tamara,

I worked on an LSTA grant for a Multnomah County Library to research what
we could do to improve our homework center, and tutoring was an issue back
then - same questions, same demand. You can refer requests to our Homework
Center https://multcolib.org/homework-center. Tell folks once they've
clicked on a topic, to look at the right hand column of blog posts - that's
where we've included links to resources and videos they may find helpful.
So for Native Americans, you'll get to this page:
https://multcolib.org/homework/Native-Americans

And if you click on the top blog post, Native American Tribes and Indian
Nations megasites
https://multcolib.org/blog/20160819/native-american-tribes-and-indian-nations-megasites
It will provide good info on that topic. There's also book lists and
databases listed that can help.

Also under the topic Literacy and Literature, the subjects Research Tips
and Rearch and Citations feature videos and printable info graphics about
information literacy, and citing sources, and typing and keyboarding
tutorials for kids (again, look at the right hand blog posts for some of
these topics).

When I was working the grant, I also talked to 211 operators, who also said
they were constantly asked for free tutoring. The bottom line is that
tutors are available - but not for free. The library had tried years ago to
provide free tutoring via volunteers, but it failed due because volunteers
didn't always know what kids were studying, and it became too difficult to
schedule and train all the volunteers needed, and to assure they'd show up.

I'm copying Mandy Tuthill on this, she oversees the Homework Center, so she
might also have some thoughts.

*Cathy Camper*
School Corps  Librarian
Multnomah County Library
Phone:503.988.6012
Fax: 503.988.5441
*cathyc at multcolib.org* <cathyc at multcolib.org>
*www.multcolib.org <http://www.multcolib.org/>*
*Follow us on Facebook and Twitter facebook.com/multcolib
<http://facebook.com/multcolib>*

*twitter.com/multcolib <http://twitter.com/multcolib>
multcolib.org/outreachsurvey <http://multcolib.org/outreachsurvey> *