[Answerland] Shared Followup question: teaching sacred texts in public schools

Tamara Ottum tamara.ottum at state.or.us
Tue Nov 29 08:32:14 PST 2016

Hello Answerlanders,

A student is looking for our help:

"Hi, I am a student at Veritas School, a small private school in Newberg, OR. My teacher, Mr. Linhart, has assigned a research project about whether public schools should teach sacred texts as literature. The minor premise is 'Teaching sacred texts as literature in public schools would educate future citizens with basic ethical foundations, with a deeper knowledge of the world and people around them, and with an appreciation for different religious traditions.' My questions are: Do sacred texts truly provide basic ethical foundations? Are there any professors of ethics that I can contact for expert advice? Are there any books at my library that can point me in the right direction?"

You can find this question in the Shared Followup list in QuestionPoint. (Question 11869720)

To add a note:

*                 Open the question

*                 Click Claim

*                 Click Add Note, type in your note, and click Add Note again

*                 Click Claim again

*                 In the Refer To drop-down box, select Shared Followup and click the blue arrow

To send a response to the patron:

*                 Open the question

*                 Click Claim

*                 Click Answer and write your response. If you have files to send to the patron, attach them here. Click Send Answer when you are finished.

*                 Click Claim again

*                 In the Refer To drop-down box, select Shared Followup and click the blue arrow

Tamara Ottum
Answerland Coordinator
Oregon State Library
503-378-6506