[Answerland] Tip of the Week: dealing with pranksters on the 24/7 queue

Tamara Ottum tamara.ottum at state.or.us
Wed Mar 1 08:54:47 PST 2017

Hello Answerlanders,

I've posted before about dealing with Answerland pranksters<https://answerland.org/2016/11/02/questionpoint-tip-of-the-week-handling-pranks/>, but the situation can be a little different when you're staffing the 24/7 Cooperative queues.

In Answerland, we use the Descriptive Code "prank" to mark sessions so I can follow up. However, you will recall from the training and documentation that when working with a non-Answerland patron, you do not want to use Descriptive Codes. The Cooperative's policy<http://wiki.questionpoint.org/w/page/13839422/247-Policies#443DescriptiveCodes> is that Descriptive Codes are assigned only to sessions or transactions with one's own patrons.

So how do you mark a 24/7 Coop session as a "prank"? The Coop's recommendation is to use the Resolution Code "Followup by Patron's Library" and then add a note for the librarian. This way the library is made aware of the situation. You can read more advice in the Persistent Repeat Patron<http://wiki.questionpoint.org/w/page/13839422/247-Policies#454Persistentrepeatpatrons> policy.

Of course, as always, you can also report situations to me and I will followup with QuestionPoint.

-Tamara

Tamara Ottum, MLIS
Answerland Coordinator
Oregon State Library