[Answerland] Question to answer: historical info for a parcel of land in Grant County

Ross Betzer rossbk at multcolib.org
Wed Aug 1 14:50:39 PDT 2018

Thanks, Tamara!

I just responded to the patron. Here's what I sent them:

*Thank you for your question about obtaining historical info for a parcel
of land in Grant County. You said that you would “like info on Mr. Ulysses
Grant Scott who obtained this parcel from US General Land Office 19 Nov
1906. There was a family dispute upon his death in 1908 & I'd like more
info on family members.”*

*What details, if any, do you already know about Ulysses Scott at this
point, and what new information are you hoping to find in the historical
land info? Do you know any biographical details about Scott’s life, like
where he lived and when?*

*I was able to find record of the land patent (ORLGAA 086671) in the Bureau
of Land Management’s General Land Office Records
<https://glorecords.blm.gov/search/default.aspx> website.*

*For information on Grant County records and where to request them, take a
look at the Grant County Records Inventory
<https://sos.oregon.gov/archives/records/county/Pages/grant-inventory.aspx>
from the Oregon Secretary of State’s Office. That page lists many kinds of
historical records that might be useful for your research depending on
which, if any, events in Scott's life may have taken place in Grant County.
*

*I’m sorry that I wasn’t able to find more for you right off the bat! But
if can provide us with more info about Scott’s life and whereabouts, we may
be able to come up with more suggestions for you about where to look next.*

-Ross

*Ross Betzer*
*Librarian, Local Resources & Cataloging*
Multnomah County Library
Central Library / Technical Services
x24894 (Sun., Mon., Wed.); x85466 (Tue., Thu.)
multcolib.org
My preferred pronouns are he/him/his