[Answerland] Answerland is looking for mentors!

Clare Sobotka sobotkc at linnbenton.edu
Tue Aug 28 10:39:44 PDT 2018

*Apologies for cross-posting. *

Why does Answerland need mentors? To be successful, new Answerland
librarians need support and feedback. New librarians on Answerland may not
have experience on a reference desk or with chat reference, and are
learning new software at the same time. Offering a mentoring program to
these librarians is one of the ways that Answerland helps them be
successful while also helping our community to grow.

What will I be doing? You’ll be checking in with your mentee once a week
for about two months. Being a mentor may involve helping a librarian
practice using Answerland software, being available during shifts (if
schedules allow), reading through transcripts, and giving feedback. Mentors
may work with a mentee at their library or a mentee in another part of the
state. (Detailed guidelines can be found on the Mentor a Librarian page
<https://answerland.org/get-involved/mentor-a-librarian/> on
Answerland.org.) You don’t need to commit for an extended time period. If
after mentoring once you choose not to do it again, or if you can only
mentor once a year or so, we still welcome your participation.

Am I ready to be a mentor? To be a mentor you should:

   -

   Have at least one year of experience staffing Answerland..
   -

   Want to work with new librarians (often volunteers) to teach them about
   Answerland.
   -

   Be able to evaluate transcripts using the rubrics from the Quality Team
   <https://answerland.org/about-us/quality-team/> to help new Answerland
   librarians grow and improve.
   -

   Love Oregon libraries!

Will I get support? Yes! The Answerland Quality Team and the Answerland
Coordinator are always happy to answer questions, address concerns, express
our gratitude, etc.

How do I apply? To apply to be a mentor, please contact us
<https://answerland.org/contact/>. If you do not have at least one year of
experience staffing Answerland at a partner library, please contact a
member of the Quality Team
<https://answerland.org/about-us/quality-team/#memberlist> before
submitting the application.

More questions? Contact any member of the Quality Team: Valerie Florez (
valpg at alum.calberkeley.org), Joanna Milner (joannam at multcolib.org), Heidi
Senior (senior at up.edu) or Clare Sobotka (sobotkc at linnbenton.edu).

Thank you,
Clare Sobotka on behalf of the Answerland Quality Team

--
Clare Sobotka
LBCC HOC Library Reference Assistant