[Answerland] Help finding historical records of private businesses

Tamara Ottum tamara.ottum at state.or.us
Tue Mar 27 08:10:11 PDT 2018

Thanks to Liz @ Cedar Mill for helping our colleague with this question!

From: Tamara Ottum
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2018 9:16 AM
To: 'answerland at listsmart.osl.state.or.us' <answerland at listsmart.osl.state.or.us>
Subject: Help finding historical records of private businesses

Good morning Answerlanders,

A fellow librarian needs our help:

"This is a second-level reference question. One of our patrons contacted us by email and has requested information about a gas station her grandfather owned in Springfield, Oregon in the 1960s. Her grandfather's name was Gerald Kinnaman. Th patron knows that it was an Arco station, and that they sponsored race cars. She attached a picture of a sponsored racecar with the station behind it. The racecar appears to say "Jerry's Arco 52 Main Spfld" in white paint on the blue car. She is interested in anything she can find out about the gas station. I believe this includes any information but especially names of employees who worked there. She believes that her grandfather employed a mechanic in 1963. I am not sure where to search for historical records of private businesses. I appreciate any ideas you may have! I have also reached out to retired library staff who fill substitute desk shifts at our library to see if they have any ideas. Thank you."

You can find this question (#13346091) in the Shared Followup list in QuestionPoint.

To add a note:
*        Open the question
*        Click Claim
*        Click Add Note, type in your note, and click Add Note again
*        Click Claim again
*        In the Refer To drop-down box, select Shared Followup and click the blue arrow

To send a response to the patron:
*        Open the question
*        Click Claim
*        Click Answer and write your response. If you have files to send to the patron, attach them here. Click Send Answer when you are finished.
*        Click Claim again
*        In the Refer To drop-down box, select Shared Followup and click the blue arrow

-Tamara

Tamara Ottum, MLIS
Answerland Coordinator
State Library of Oregon | Library Support & Development Services
tamara.ottum at state.or.us<mailto:tamara.ottum at state.or.us> | 503-378-6506<tel:%20(503)%20378-6506> | www.oregon.gov/osl<http://www.oregon.gov/osl>