[Answerland] Patron looking for picture book recommendations

Tamara Ottum tamara.ottum at state.or.us
Mon May 7 08:25:37 PDT 2018

Good morning Answerlanders,

A patron is looking for book recommendations:

"Hello! I am looking for a picture book to help my niece understand that it is possible for two women to get married. This is in preparation for my own wedding coming up in a few months. When I told her I was getting married to another woman, she said, "you can't do that." I have done some basic research about picture books that feature an LGB family and have not found quite what I'm looking for. Most books are about a family, which is not what I want because I don't have any kids. A lot of other books are about gay men, not women. I also don't want a book that lists lots of different types of families. Ideally the book would be at her reading level (5 yrs old) and have two women that don't have children getting married. The closest book I found that I liked was Worm Loves Worm. But this isn't actually with human characters. I also liked Heather has two Mommies. Though I prefer a book I would be fine with some other type of media that would be easy, like a movie or show, or even a video. She is mostly into princesses and the like so anything with that type of subject would be a bonus. Books I have already looked at are The Family Book by Todd Parr, Molly's family, Tango makes Three, We are family by Patricia Hagerty, A family is a family is a family, and Stella brings the family. Thank you x=so much!!"

You can find this question (#13464100) in the Shared Followup list in QuestionPoint.

To add a note:
*        Open the question
*        Click Claim
*        Click Add Note, type in your note, and click Add Note again
*        Click Claim again
*        In the Refer To drop-down box, select Shared Followup and click the blue arrow

To send a response to the patron:
*        Open the question
*        Click Claim
*        Click Answer and write your response. If you have files to send to the patron, attach them here. Click Send Answer when you are finished.
*        Click Claim again
*        In the Refer To drop-down box, select Shared Followup and click the blue arrow

-Tamara

Tamara Ottum, MLIS
Answerland Coordinator
State Library of Oregon | Library Support & Development Services
tamara.ottum at state.or.us<mailto:tamara.ottum at state.or.us> | 503-378-6506<tel:%20(503)%20378-6506> | www.oregon.gov/osl<http://www.oregon.gov/osl>