[CAFR-Contacts-News] Irrevocable Split-Interest Agreements

HAMILTON Robert W * DAS Robert.W.HAMILTON at oregon.gov
Tue Jul 7 09:44:17 PDT 2015

Hello CAFR Contacts,

The GASB recently issued an Exposure Draft proposing recognition and measurement guidance for governments that benefit from irrevocable split-interest agreements.  Irrevocable split-interest agreements are arrangements in which a donor transfers assets for the shared benefit of at least two beneficiaries: a government - typically a public college or university or public healthcare provider - and another beneficiary designated by the donor. The donor transfers the assets to either the government or to a separate third party, such as a bank.

The Exposure Draft, Accounting and Financial Reporting for Irrevocable Split-Interest Agreements<http://gasb.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=e043e1190253df702a1340ed7&id=c4355bbd36&e=2631ed37c7>, addresses when these types of arrangements constitute an asset for accounting and financial reporting purposes in cases where the resources are administered by a third party. The proposal also seeks input on expanded guidance for irrevocable split-interest agreements in which the government holds the assets.

The full text of the Exposure Draft<http://gasb.us3.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=e043e1190253df702a1340ed7&id=43b5653cd2&e=2631ed37c7> is available on the GASB website, www.gasb.org<http://gasb.us3.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=e043e1190253df702a1340ed7&id=16635ae3c2&e=2631ed37c7>.

To help SARS determine whether this proposal will have an impact on the State, please let me know by the close of business on Friday, July 24th, if your agency is a beneficiary to any split-interest agreements, and if so, whether the resources are held by a third party or your agency.

At this point, we're aware that many of the university foundations are beneficiaries of split-interest agreements, but we are not aware of others.

Thank you,

Rob

Robert W. Hamilton, CPA
Statewide Accounting and Reporting Services Manager
Chief Financial Office
Department of Administrative Services
Phone:  (503) 373-0299
http://oregon.gov/DAS/CFO/SARS<http://oregon.gov/DAS/SCD/SARS>

Data Classification: Level 1 - Published