[CAFR-Contacts-News] SARS Training Announcements

HAMILTON Robert W * DAS Robert.W.HAMILTON at oregon.gov
Wed Apr 20 13:46:08 PDT 2016

Hello CAFR Contacts,

I'm happy to announce that SARS has scheduled two trainings for June: the annual SARS Year-end Training on Tuesday, June 7, and a debt training on Thursday, June 16.  Both will be held at the Employment Auditorium, located at 875 Union Street NE in Salem.

The Year-end Training will start at 9:30 am and will last 1 ½ - 2 hours. We're still putting together the agenda, but we expect to discuss key dates for the year-end process, changes to the agency disclosures and GASB Statement No. 77 Tax Abatement Disclosures. As a reminder, someone from each agency must attend in order for the agency to earn the Gold Star Award.

The debt training will start at 8:00 am and will last approximately 3 ½ hours. This training is voluntary, and agencies will be able to send as many representatives as they wish. We'll provide an overview of Oregon debt, determining the appropriate fund structure, as well as the entries to record the issuance of debt, debt payments, refunding a debt, and year-end transactions. This training will be similar to the one we conducted in May 2013, for those that attended, updated for the new treatment of debt issuance costs and gains/losses on refundings pursuant to GASB Statement No. 65, which was effective in FY 2014. As part of this training, we'll have some exercises for attendees to work through. Going forward, I plan on offering this debt training on an annual or biennial basis, depending on circumstances.

Once these trainings are on iLearn, I'll send out another notice on the CAFR Contacts News, but I wanted to make the announcement so you could get them on your calendars.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Rob

Robert W. Hamilton, CPA
Statewide Accounting and Reporting Services Manager
Chief Financial Office
Department of Administrative Services
Phone:  (503) 373-0299
http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/financial/acctng

Data Classification: Level 1 - Published