[DAS_Centralized_PERS_Services_Team] New OPSRP employees Contribution Start Date Information

ELY Linda C * DAS Linda.C.ELY at oregon.gov
Tue Jun 30 13:30:13 PDT 2015

As many of you will recall, last year in July 2014 we informed agencies that after a review of the statute there was a new interpretation from PERS concerning the Contribution Start Date.  This meant we had to change how we set up retirement start dates in the payroll system for new OPSRP employees. Once again we have another change regarding Contribution Start Dates.

In this 2015 legislative session House Bill 3495 was introduced to change the language concerning when contributions are to begin for OPRSP employee and bring it into alignment with the PERS Tier1 and Tier 2 language.  The Governor has now signed this bill into law.

ORS 238A.100(1) is now amended to included:
(b) Employer contributions for new members of the pension program shall first be made under ORS 238A.220 for those wages that are attributable to services performed by the employee during the first full pay period following the six-month period, without regard to when those wages are considered earned for other purposes under this chapter.

ORS 238A.330 is now amended to included:
(3) A new member of the individual account program shall first make contributions under this section for those wages that are attributable to services performed by the employee during the first full pay period following the six-month probationary period required under ORS 238A.300, without regard to when those wages are considered earned for other purposes under this chapter.

This change is effective 1/1/2016.  There is no retroactive clause on this legislation and will not impact employee accounts who had Contribution Start Dates based on the last revised method used from 1/1/2014 through 12/31/2015.

The change is effective for Contribution Start Dates on or after 1/1/2016.  Beginning immediately with new OPSRP employees hired on or after 6/2/2015, we will not pay contributions on wages earned during an employee's waiting period.  If an employee started working on 6/2/2015, their Contribution Start Date would be 1/1/2016.  However, because wages earned through 12/31/2015 would be earned during their waiting period, contributions would not start until 2/1/2016 (pay period end 1/31/2016).

Please stop using the "PERS Contribution Start Date Guide for OPSRP Employees" found on our web site for employees hired on or after 6/2/2015.  For the remainder of 2015, begin using "2015 PERS CSD Guide for OPSRP Employees - Current Guidelines".   As of 1/1/2016, there will be a universal "PERS Contribution Start Date Guide" available for 2016 and later.

Here is a link to the new CSD guide found our web page:  http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/EGS/FBS/CPERS/Pages/dates.aspx#2015_PERS_CSD_Guide_for_OPSRP_Employees_-_Current_Guidelines

If you have questions concerning how to use the new guide, please contact your DAS Centralized PERS Team analyst.

Thank you
Das Centralized PERS Services Team