[DAS_Centralized_PERS_Services_Team] **PERS Class Plan**Changes coming to Workday

TOBIASSON Shauna M * DAS Shauna.M.TOBIASSON at oregon.gov
Thu Jun 10 09:36:31 PDT 2021

Greetings HR & payroll Partners,

The purpose of this communication is to notify you that the PERS Class Plan field in Workday is changing. These changes will impact agency business processes. While we do not know an exact date for this change, we expect it to be completed by July 1st, 2021. Please read below for details:

What is the PERS Class Plan?
The PERS Class Plan is a field in WD that is selected when an employee is hired. This field identifies the PERS representation for an employee, example: PERS Tier1, Tier 2, or OPSRP. The PERS Class Plan also identifies if the position is general service or police and fire, and if the position is PERS Qualifying or non-qualifying.

The PERS Class plan field feeds over to OSPA (P030) and determines how the agency sets up the employee and employer PERS contributions (P010). The PERS Class Plan also helps CPERS identify differences in subjectivity for pay codes as the PERS statutes are different depending on PERS classification.

Why is this changing?
Currently there are 18 unique PERS Class Plan's in Workday. We have known for some time that these 18 codes do not represent all of the possible PERS representation scenarios we have in state employment. In addition, currently PERS Tier 1 & Tier 2 are combined into on class code. This combination can cause issues when the PERS subjectivity is different for Tier 1 & Tier 2. The purpose of this change is to split out the plans and provide a PERS Class Plan option for all types of positions and PERS representation.

What is changing?
In the new format there will be a total of 40 unique PERS Class Plans. Some of these will be the old PERS Class Plan's you are familiar with, and others will be new or revised. We intend for these changes to be intuitive; however, an updated "PERS Class Plan Guide" will be developed to assist you in making sure you are selecting the correct code for your employee.

Some of the key changes are:
·       Tier 1 & Tier 2 will be split
·       R & M retiree codes will have OPSRP & P&F options
·       Non-qualifying positions have a P&F option
·       Expiring the re-employment codes

What is needed from agencies?
We are running a process in WD to convert all of the old PERS Class Plan codes to the new codes. There will need to be some post-conversion clean-up for PERS Tier 1 employees.  This will be done centrally on behalf of agencies. Please be aware that this may take some time to complete and you may see an employee improperly classed in the meantime. If you notice an error in a PERS Class Plan for one of your employees, please contact me and I can confirm that they are on our post-conversion clean-up list, or if other actions are needed.

Sincerely,

Shauna Tobiasson | Senior CPERS Analyst | DAS-EGS-CPERS
Shauna.m.tobiasson at oregon.gov<mailto:Shauna.m.tobiasson at oregon.gov> | Ph: 971-719-3173
Website: http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/Financial/payroll/Pages/index.aspx
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."  ― Ralph Waldo Emerson