[Erate] USAC's Schools and Libraries News Brief - Update
Sabrina.Carson at wesd.org
Thu Aug 20 08:58:21 PDT 2009
Please see the update from USAC on their IT upgrade. As always, feel free to contact me with questions. :)
USAC IT Upgrade
August 20, 2009
Updates and Reminders
USAC continues to prepare for the major upgrade of its systems announced in the August 13 Special Edition SL News Brief<http://www.usac.org/sl/tools/news-briefs/preview.aspx?id=247&WT.mc_id=sl-newsbrief-20090820>. We would like to again remind both applicants and service providers of the steps they can take to minimize the effects of the upgrade work on their program activities.
We strongly suggest that you file program forms online before the end of August or wait until after the upgrade is complete. We expect the upgrade work to be performed during the first two weeks of September, and next week we should have target dates for starting and completing the upgrade. Forms filed during August that are not processed before the upgrade work starts will remain in the system and processing will continue after the upgrade work is finished.
Additional information on Forms 470
USAC is downloading the information from Forms 470 posted on or after July 21, 2009 and creating a *.PDF version of each form. We will also create a *.PDF file for any Forms 470 submitted on paper that are visually complete and correct that we receive during the upgrade period. All of these *.PDF files will be listed in a table that will be linked on the Schools and Libraries main page of the USAC website when the upgrade work starts so that (1) service providers have access to the information on the forms and (2) applicants' 28-day waiting periods will not be interrupted.
After the upgrade is complete, USAC will data enter the paper Forms 470 received and posted during the upgrade. At that time, each form will be assigned its unique 15-digit application number, and USAC will adjust the system-generated posting date to the date the form was first posted in *.PDF format to the USAC website.
Below is a sample of a few rows of the Form 470 table. Each 15-digit application number will be an active link to the *.PDF version of that form.
* For all program forms, check your work carefully before submitting. If you wait until the last day of August to file your form online - or if you file on paper during the upgrade - and your form is incomplete or has inconsistent information, USAC will probably be unable to notify you until the upgrade work is finished.
* For all forms and requests (e.g., appeals, deadline extensions, SPIN changes, service substitutions), submit them as soon as possible. Follow the submission guidance in the Reference Area<http://www.universalservice.org/sl/tools/reference-area.aspx?WT.mc_id=sl-newsbrief-20090820> for each type of request, but note that Submit a Question<http://www.slforms.universalservice.org/EMailResponse/EMail_Intro.aspx> WILL NOT be available as an option to submit requests during the upgrade. Remember also that USAC will not be able to work on reviews of forms and requests during the upgrade.
* If you have any status requests, make them as soon as possible as well. USAC staff and the Client Service Bureau will not have access to most USAC systems during the upgrade, and will only be able to verify receipt of paper forms.
* Applicants: don't wait until the last day of August to file BEAR Forms online. Your service provider may need time to review your form before it is approved, and access will be delayed until after the upgrade work is complete. Better yet, file online now and notify your service provider that you have an online BEAR Form awaiting approval.
* Service providers: download Form 470 information before the end of August. The Form 470 Download Reports tool<http://www.universalservice.org/sl/tools/search-tools/form470-download-reports.aspx?WT.mc_id=sl-newsbrief-20090820> gives service providers summary data on Forms 470. This data can be downloaded, saved in a spreadsheet, and sorted. This tool will not be available during the upgrade.
If you have additional questions about the upgrade, please call the Client Service Bureau at 1-888-203-8100.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
You may download and print copies of Schools and Libraries News Briefs<http://www.usac.org/sl/tools/news-briefs/?WT.mc_id=sl-newsbrief-20090820> on USAC's website. You may subscribe<http://www.usac.org/sl/tools/news-brief/subscribe.aspx?WT.mc_id=sl-newsbrief-20090820> to or unsubscribe<http://www.usac.org/sl/tools/news-brief/unsubscribe.aspx?WT.mc_id=sl-newsbrief-20090820> from this news brief. For program information, please visit the Schools and Libraries area<http://www.usac.org/sl/?WT.mc_id=sl-newsbrief-20090820> of the USAC website, submit a question<http://www.slforms.universalservice.org/EMailResponse/EMail_Intro.aspx>, or call us toll-free at 1-888-203-8100. Feel free to forward this news brief to any interested parties.
Please do not reply to this email directly, as it was sent from an unattended mailbox.
1997-2009, Universal Service Administrative Company, All Rights Reserved.
e-Rate and Procurement Customer Support
Willamette Education Service District
2611 Pringle Rd SE
Salem, OR 97302
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Erate