[gis_info] PDX ArcGIS Server User Group - April 30th

Rob McDougald rmcdougald at esri.com
Thu Apr 23 10:18:29 PDT 2009

Hello,
Just a heads up.  The next Portland ArcGIS Server User Group meeting will be next Thursday at Metro in room 370A/B from 10-noon.  Big thanks for Metro and MarkB for setting us up with a room.

The vision of this group is to create a regular-occurring, collaborative, and technical meeting environment to facilitate GIS knowledge exchange.   I'm trying to set up an environment for you all to get to know each other, share what you are doing (technology, development, training, data creation, services development), and provide a forum for technical education.

John Sharrard will be doing a technical discussion on ArcGIS Server best practices for deploying web maps.  See his abstract below.

10-10:30: Round table introductions
Give us a quick shout out for your agency and what you are doing with GIS.  I.E., 4 users, 9.2 ArcIMS application development, currently digitizing project for FIT team, deployed in/for planning and finance departments, etc.  This is meant to teach others about your capabilities.  New users and advanced users have A LOT to contribute.

10:30-11:15: John Sharrard, ESRI
ArcGIS Server best practices technical discussion.

11:15-11:25 Break
11:30-noon: open discussion

If you get this from the GPL or OGIC list servers and want to be on the regular list then please send me an email.  Pardon my cross posting on the OGIC and GPL lists.  A lot of people are still telling me they haven't seen this new list.
 Thanks
Rob

"How to build better web map services"
Deploying effective, attractive, and high performing web maps requires more design effort than simply authoring a map document and publishing to the web via ArcGIS Server.   Oftentimes, the skills and methods we've learned as GIS professionals get in the way of designing web mapping systems.  It's critical that web map designers understand the needs of the end user application and the implementation of appropriate web service technology to create a great web site.     This presentation will highlight some of the techniques and tools available to create a new generation of web map sites.

John Sharrard
GIS Solutions Engineer
Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI)
25166 S Kearney Estates, Canby, OR 97013
Phone: (503)632-1767,  Cell Phone (503)880-7594,   http://www.esri.com

ESRI Northwest - Metro Oregon Account Manager
Office: 503.281.0042             RMcDougald at ESRI.com<mailto:%20rmcdougald at esri.com>

MetroMap now with Business Reports and GeoDemographics<http://www.metro-region.org/index.cfm/go/by.web/id=24876>