[gis_info] plotter recommendations compiled

Erik Fernandez ef at oregonwild.org
Tue Feb 24 13:50:20 PST 2009

Here's a list of the responses I got from folks regarding recommendations
for a plotter:

*1.* Last summer I was talking with a local Trimble/HP sales rep who said
that HP now has a line of lower cost large format printers that do work for
CAD/GIS purposes. For GIS shops that don't have high production needs, they
sounded like a good way to go for saving $.
Also, when I worked at American Wildlands in Bozeman, MT, they applied for
and got a grant for buying a plotter from one of the large foundations. Then
again, AWL had several fulltime GIS people that did work for many
nonprofits.
A quick check of HP's website shows the Z3200, Z3100. or even the Z2100
would work and come in 44" wide formats. I don't have personal experience
with these models so maybe somebody will post that does.
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/ga/WF02a/18972-18972-3328061.html

*2.* My only recommendation is go with an HP.

*3.* I’m still partial to the old HP DesignJet 1050 series.  The one I have
here has been working for about 8 years with only 1 service call.  A quick
search online found one for sale for $2800.  They aren’t the newest thing,
but they are rock solid.

*4.* Hello, since you are only going to print large format once every 2 to 3
weeks
the cost of a large format printer and paper is not warranted. The agency I
work for uses an HP Z6100 42" printer for large jobs but toner and paper are
highly priced. I would advise just taking a thumb drive to your local
printer
or kinkos to let them print your large maps and docs. Additionally the
universities can print these for you at low cost, all have large printers
and
they don't charge much especially to nonprofits or students that need
posters. The cost of the large format printers and paper are very high, I
would seriously examine the cost benefit analysis of buying verses jobing
out
these projects. I hope this helps.

*5. *The 500 series HP Designjet appears to be the lowest end of the price
range for newer plotters at the size you're looking for.

--
Erik Fernandez
Wilderness Coordinator