[gis_info] Base Layers Derived from Lidar, for Local Jurisdictions

Jed Roberts jed.roberts at dogami.state.or.us
Wed Nov 10 13:34:42 PST 2010

Hello,

The Oregon Department of Geology and Mineral Industries (DOGAMI) has
been extracting new GIS layers from recently acquired lidar for
jurisdictions throughout the state.  These are typically deliverables
for ongoing projects assessing exposure to natural hazards.  Layers
include:

* Roads
* Stream centerlines
* Water bodies
* Building footprints
* Transmission lines
* Culverts
* Bridges
* Dams
* Railroads
* Tree canopy heights
* Transmission corridors
* 2-foot contours

This is not an exhaustive list of layers that can be extracted from
lidar.  DOGAMI is constantly experimenting with new ideas -- so please
share yours!

After developing these layers, DOGAMI captures them in a single
geodatabase, along with other existing layers (i.e. jurisdictional
boundaries, public land survey, parcels, etc.).  All layers are then
snapped together and made topologically consistent (e.g. bridges are
snapped to roads, culverts to streams, building footprints within
parcels, etc.).  Our cartographers have also developed base maps from
these layers, such as the attached map featuring the Coos Bay/North Bend
area.

DOGAMI would like to extend this type of work into new jurisdictions --
as stand-alone GIS products and/or printed base maps.  We understand
that many local jurisdictions have lost GIS staff and lack the in-house
capacity to do data development.  DOGAMI's "lidar-derived geodatabases"
could be an affordable option that allows limited GIS staff to focus on
making maps for decision-making, and avoid sinking time into developing
data layers.

We are gauging interest at this point.  Please pass this along to
potentially interested parties.  If you would like to know if lidar has
been acquired in your area, please visit our Lidar Mapping Status
webpage (http://www.oregongeology.org/sub/projects/olc/status.htm).

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Cheers,

Jed Roberts | Geospatial Data Coordinator
Oregon Department of Geology & Mineral Industries
800 NE Oregon Street, Suite 965
Portland, Oregon 97232-2162
Phone: (971) 673-1546 | Fax: (971) 673-1562
E-mail: jed.roberts at dogami.state.or.us
Web: http://www.oregongeology.org/