[gis_info] WhereCampPDX, OpenStreetmap, Open Source GIS

percy percyd at pdx.edu
Thu Sep 16 10:26:50 PDT 2010

Hi GIS geeks!

There's a cool event coming up next weekend, Sept 24, 25, 26 called
WhereCampPDX. Saturday is a self-organizing "un-conference" in which the
participants decide on the topics and help place them in different sized
rooms based on interest. Attendance is free, and lunch is included.
Social activities, also!
http://www.wherecamppdx.org/

On Friday we have are hosting a free event in the VanPort room,
sponsored by OR-URISA, that will present OpenStreetMap, which the City
of Portland, Metro, and Tri-Met are attempting to standardize on as a
public repository for GIS data (like the wikipedia of GIS), and we will
also present a 3-hour hands-on tutorial of Open Source GIS software.
There will be two hours of invited demonstrations of Open Source GIS
used to solve real-world problems. Registration for Friday is limited to
72, but there are still some spots left!
http://koolapps2010.eventbrite.com/

Hope to see you there, at the convergence of "neogeography" and technology.
Cheers,
Percy

--
David Percy