[gis_info] Query about funding

Tycho Granville tychog at co.wasco.or.us
Thu Oct 20 14:47:27 PDT 2011

Hi All –

My County (Wasco) sells its data and maps, and has since the beginning. This
has been how we have funded the GIS over the years (along with some other
governmental partners, recorded document fees, and some General Fund money)

The current trend seems to be toward making data available for free. So, my
Commissioners have asked me to find out how other GIS’s are funded, and how
they are able to provide data to the public at no cost.

So, how about it? Does your agency just pick up the whole tab for your GIS?
Do you have some secret funding stream? Something else?

Thanks in advance,

Tycho

Tycho Granville
GIS Coordinator