[gis_info] Portland Area Water/Wastewater GIS user Group

Babinski, Greg Greg.Babinski at kingcounty.gov
Sat Oct 13 12:49:02 PDT 2012

Pam...

Thanks for organizing this. I am sorry that I will not be able to attend, but having worked for East Bay Municipal Utility District in Oakland and with King County Wastewater in Seattle, I know the importance of GIS for advanced water and sewer network modeling. These tools help agencies manage taxpayer investment in expensive infrastructure and make cost effective decisions to reduce the impact of aging infrastructure.

I was on the Mercer Island utility board for many years, and even for an affluent community like that, the cost of replacing infrastructure that was poorly designed and cheaply built by developers in years past will be a huge burden on future taxpayers. GIS along with hydraulic modeling systems are proven tools for cost effective infrastructure management.

I don't know if you are familiar with the King County GIS ROI study (http://www.kingcounty.gov/operations/GIS/News.aspx#0DE9BFDC7485452BAEAE929DF0076115) which demonstrated $776 million in financial benefits from KCGIS over 18 years and $87-180 million in benefits just in 2010. If you read the report, for King County the departments with the highest ROI include Wastewater Treatment. Meeting like your are important for citizens and taxpayers to reap the rewards that GIS can provide.

Best regards....

Greg Babinski, MA, GISP

Finance & Marketing Manager

King County GIS Center