[gis_info] WhereCampPDX 6 is coming! – September 27–29, 2013

Rafa Gutierrez geog.rafa.maps at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 08:19:44 PDT 2013

*WhereCampPDX 6 is coming! – September 27–29, 2013*

WhereCampPDX is a free, annual unconference for people interested in
geography and related technologies. *This year’s WhereCampPDX will be
happening September 27–29 at the Metro Regional
Center<http://www.oregonmetro.gov/index.cfm/go/by.web/id=3315>and
other Portland locations.
* If you'd like to join us, please register for
free<http://wherecamppdx6.eventbrite.com>
.

*What's a WhereCamp?*

WhereCamps connect geo-enthusiasts, developers, social place hackers,
artists, activists, grad students, geographers, earth scientists and
anybody else who wants to "know their place".

Popular topics include social cartography, software and hardware, context
 awareness, mobile development, humanitarian mapping efforts, food webs and
local food transparency, transit, psychogeography, geo games, paper maps,
and place hacking.

WhereCamp is an unconference, which means it has little to no pre-selected
content. Instead, the content is provided by the participants once they
arrive. Everyone gathers in the morning to propose sessions and schedule
them in blocks throughout the day. Sessions take many forms, from prepared
talks to open discussions to running around outside with balloons. We value
open participation, providing access to new voices, and lowering barriers
to participation. The result is a fun event is driven by the interests and
talents of the participants.

*When & Where is WhereCampPDX?*

WhereCampPDX 6 will be held September 27–29, spanning Friday, Saturday and
Sunday.

Please register for free <http://wherecamppdx6.eventbrite.com> if you're
planning to attend, so we can accurately plan for food and such.

To kick things off, we’ll be hosting an opening party on Friday night with
food, drink, and casual geonerdery. On Saturday, the Metro Regional Center
will host our unconference day from 10am to 6pm. Sunday plays host to a
variety of geo-related games and activities at locations throughout central
Portland. We're currently looking for people to run things on Sunday, so if
you have an idea, please let us
know<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/wherecamp-pdx>
.

*How can I help?*

WhereCampPDX is an all volunteer-run event. We're just kicking off the bulk
of the planning process now, and would love to have more folks scheming
with us to make this the best WhereCampPDX ever. If you can lend a hand,
please join our mailing
list<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/wherecamp-pdx>and stop by
one of our planning meetings.

In order to keep WhereCampPDX free for everyone, we rely on the generous
support of our sponsors. If your company is interested in supporting our
efforts, please drop us a line <sponsorship at wherecamppdx.org>.

*Spread the word!*

We’d love if it you could take a moment to tell other interested geonerds
in your life about WhereCampPDX.

Some ideas:
* Post to your blog!
* Share your interest on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, or your favorite
social network!
* Join our event on Lanyrd <http://lanyrd.com/2013/wherecamppdx/>!

See you at WhereCamp!

--
Rafa Gutierrez | Grafa Geographic Design | grafa.co | 503.705.6592