[gis_info] December 2014 Oregon GIS Framework Newsletter

DENOUDEN Bob * DAS Bob.DENOUDEN at oregon.gov
Thu Dec 11 11:01:14 PST 2014

If you are having trouble viewing this email, try this link<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/fit/docs/newsletters/Oregon%20GIS%20Framework%20Quarterly%20Newsletter%20December%202014.pdf>

[http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/Images/GEO-logo-80x80.jpg]

Oregon GIS Framework Newsletter   [cid:image006.jpg at 01D01531.C3B16CB0]

December, 2014

Issue Number 3

In This Issue

*    Featured Framework Data Element: Hydrography

*    Recent FIT Activity

*    Upcoming FIT meetings

*    A Word from the Framework Coordinator

Contact Us

Geospatial Enterprise Office web:

http://gis.oregon.gov<http://gis.oregon.gov/>

Framework Coordinator:

bob.denouden at state.or.us<mailto:bob.denouden at state.or.us>

Welcome to the Winter 2014 issue of the Oregon GIS Framework Newsletter. This quarterly newsletter presents a summary of GIS Framework related activities over the past fall.

Featured Framework Data Element: Oregon Hydrography

[http://spatialdata.oregonexplorer.info/Metadata/Thumbnails/NHDhydrography.GIF]

The National Hydrography Dataset (NHD) is a comprehensive set of digital spatial data that represents the surface water of the United States using common features such as lakes, ponds, streams, rivers, canals, stream gages, and dams.

Polygons are used to represent area features such as lakes, ponds, and rivers; lines are used to represent linear features such as streams and smaller rivers; and points are used to represent point features such as stream gages and dams. Lines also are used to show the water flow through area features such as the flow of water through a lake. The combination of lines is used to create a network of water and transported material flow to allow users of the data to trace movement in downstream and upstream directions. More detailed information about the NHD can be obtained from the United States Geological Survey (USGS) NHD website<http://nhd.usgs.gov/>.

The NHD, in Oregon and Washington, is the result of over a decade of data development work. Partners within the two-state area initially collaborated on development of a high resolution dataset that was based on the "LLID" identifier. This dataset was maintained within the PNWHF infrastructure. In 2005, the PNWHF made a decision to migrate to the NHD format and this transition was completed by 2009. NHD represents the framework hydrography data element for Oregon and is stewarded by the Oregon Water Resources Department.

A Summary of Framework Activity this Fall

The Framework Implementation Teams were certainly busy this past fall.  The highlight of the season was our 17th Framework Forum held in November.  A summary of FIT meetings and events is listed below:
Hydrography FIT met at OWRD in Salem on October 8th Here are the notes<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/fit/hydrography/docs/ORHydro_notes_20141008.pdf> from their meeting.
The Soils Workgroup of Geosciences FIT met on October 21 at the NRCS office in Portland, here are their notes<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/fit/geoscience/docs/Soils%20Workgroup%20Meeting%20Notes%2010_21_14.pdf>.
The Preparedness FIT met on October 22 at OEM in Salem, here is a link to the notes<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/fit/preparedness/docs/PrepFIT%20Meeting%20Notes%2020141022.pdf>.
The ORMAP Tech group also met on October 22, notes can be found by going to the bottom of the Technical Group tab here<http://www.ormap.net/index.cfm?opt=people>, and clicking on Agendas/Minutes.
Metadata workgroup met November 12, see notes<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/fit/metadata/Metadata%20Workgroup%20Meeting%20Notes%2011_12_14.pdf> here.  This workgroup has been meeting for much of the year and is close to having a revised Oregon Geospatial Metadata Standard to present more widely for review.
The Public Buildings Data Model Workgroup held their second meeting on November 18 (notes<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/fit/preparedness/docs/Public%20Buildings%20Data%20Model%20Workgroup_meeting2_notes_111814.pdf>).
The Administrative Boundaries FIT met on November 20.  Their meeting notes<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/fit/admin_boundaries/docs/Admin_Bndy_Minutes_Nov_20_2014.pdf> are also available.
The Hazards FIT met in Portland on November 25, see notes<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/fit/hazards/docs/Hazards%20FIT%20meeting%20notes%20November%2025%202014.pdf>.
The Shorelines Workgroup of the Coastal and Marine FIT met on December 4.  Their notes can be viewed here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/16njCPk78yDhw2RPLqtqVZjX9YKqaAUqK1_eP_t8IzWY/edit?usp=sharing>.
The Fish Habitat Distribution Data Standard Workgroup of the BioScience FIT met December 10.  Meeting note are not yet available but will be posted to the BioScience page<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/pages/fit/bioscience/bioframe.aspx> on the GEO website as soon as I have them.
In addition to activities from the various FITs, we held a Framework Forum (our 17th) on November 5th at the beautiful Silver Falls Lodge & Conference Center.  To review forum materials, including the final agenda, presentations, and draft standards, go to the Standards page of the GEO website, here<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/pages/standards/standards.aspx>, and scroll down to the middle of the page.
Finally, while they did not meet this quarter, the Elevation FIT was critical in supporting efforts to secure additional funding for lidar data collection in Oregon.  DOGAMI submitted a proposal to USGS for the 3DEP lidar funding program this month.  We are optimistic that this proposal will be successful and will get us closer to our goal of statewide lidar data availability for Oregon within the next eight years.

Upcoming FIT Meetings:
The Soils Workgroup of the GeoScience FIT meets January 20, 2015 in Salem.  Specific room still TBD.
Watch the GEO Events Calendar<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/pages/geoCal.aspx> for more announcements as we get into the next quarter.

A Word from the Framework Coordinator:

As we move into 2015, the focus of framework will continue to be the facilitation of collaborative development and sharing of geospatial data in Oregon.  We still have a long way to go in order to fulfill the nearly fifteen year old vision of framework.  Much of our effort will be devoted to encouraging more data stewardship activities, plans, and agreements.  What is stewardship?  For some time now our working definition for framework stewardship has been:
The willingness to be accountable for a set of business information for the well-being of the larger organization, by operating in service, rather than in control, of those around us.
Since 2008 we have had an adopted stewardship charter document template (see OGIC minutes<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/docs/ogic/ogic3.27.08.pdf>) yet very few formal stewardship charters or agreements have been completed since that time.  We currently have one, the Stewardship Plan for UGB Boundaries<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/fit/admin_boundaries/docs/Stewardship%20Plan%20for%20UGB%20Framework%20vdot4final%20(2).pdf>, in the process of endorsement by OGIC.  This will provide an opportunity to clarify the intentions of stewardship as well as reaffirm the process for designating stewardship agencies and processes.  While it is important to have a well understood process in place to formally enact stewardship agreements and plans, the most important thing about stewardship, in my opinion, is the creation of an environment where agencies are willing to go the extra step to add additional value in their data for the benefit of those outside of their own organization.  In order to achieve this goal we must continue to strive to create meaningful opportunities for collaboration and cooperation across agencies and levels of government.  This is the essence of the framework program and I will continue my efforts in 2015 to make these connections.