[gis_info] June 2014 Oregon GIS Framework Newsletter

DENOUDEN Bob * CIO bob.denouden at state.or.us
Tue Jun 10 10:15:04 PDT 2014

[http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/Images/GEO-logo-80x80.jpg]

Oregon GIS Framework Newsletter   [cid:image003.jpg at 01CF848E.42B563C0]

June, 2014

In This Issue

*    Featured Framework Data Element: UGB Boundaries

*    Recent FIT Activity

*    The OSDL is evolving

Framework Links

Oregon Spatial Data Library (OSDL)<http://spatialdata.oregonexplorer.info/geoportal/catalog/main/home.page>

Framework Implementation Team<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/pages/fit/fit.aspx>

Framework Status Report<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/docs/fit/Framework%20Status%20April%202014.pdf>

GEO Calendar<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/pages/geoCal.aspx>

Contact Us

http://gis.oregon.gov<http://gis.oregon.gov/>

bob.denouden at state.or.us<mailto:bob.denouden at state.or.us>

Welcome to Oregon's Framework Newsletter

This is the inaugural issue of the Oregon GIS Framework Newsletter.  As Framework Coordinator, I intend to distribute a quarterly update highlighting what is going on in the Framework Program.  It will spotlight new framework datasets, activity on Oregon GIS standards, collaboration efforts in GIS, and other items of interest to the GIS community in Oregon.

Featured Framework Data Element: UGB Boundaries (2013)

[cid:image007.jpg at 01CF848A.1CDA8530]

Urban Growth Boundaries are areas around city limits (and Portland Metro) delineated in accordance with Oregon's Land Use Planning Program statutes and rules. Their purpose is to contain sufficient buildable land and to show where a city expects to grow over the next 20 years.  Periodically, jurisdictions adjust their UGB to accommodate ongoing development and population growth.  Cities submit a plan amendment proposal that includes UGB expansion maps to Oregon's Department of Land Conservation and Development (DLCD). After approval or acknowledgment, DLCD incorporates changes in the statewide geodatabase. Since 2011, jurisdictions have been required to submit a digital GIS file of their UGB each time an amendment is requested.  As such, DLCD now serves as the data steward for the UGB Boundary dataset, which will be updated annually and published to OSDL.  A draft stewardship plan<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/fit/admin_boundaries/docs/Stewardship%20Plan%20for%20UGB%20Framework%20vdot3final.docx> for UGB boundaries is currently under review.  UGB boundaries fall within the Administrative Boundaries FIT<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/pages/fit/admin_boundaries/adminframe.aspx>.

A Summary of Framework Activity in Past Month

For those of who did not get a chance to attend the GIS in Action conference in April (and those who did and missed it) here is a link to the Poster<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/docs/fit/Oregon%20GIS%20Framework%20Overview.pdf> describing the state of Oregon's Framework effort that was displayed there.  Along with the poster, a Status Report<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/docs/fit/Framework%20Status%20April%202014.pdf> goes into more detail about where we are with framework in 2014.

Check out what is going on with the Soils Workgroup<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/fit/geoscience/docs/Soils%20Workgroup%20Meeting%20Notes%204_30_14.docx>, which reconvened last month under the direction of Ian Reid of NRCS' Oregon state office in order to move us forward in the development of a statewide soils framework layer.

Another workgroup that was re-activated recently is the Metadata Workgroup.  They met at the end of April and will lead an effort to clarify the Oregon geospatial metadata standard.  Here are their meeting minutes<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/fit/metadata/Metadata%20Workgroup%20Meeting%20Notes%204_29_14.docx>.

The Elevation FIT has been busy lately.  They met in February (minutes<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/fit/elevation/docs/2014-02-18_E-FIT_Meeting-Notes.pdf>) where they established a task force that will write the Oregon elevation data acquisition prioritization plan, an important component to Oregon's participation in the brand new USGS 3DEP<http://nationalmap.gov/3DEP/index.html> program, which has set a goal of collecting lidar for all of the continental US with an eight year update cycle. There were several elevation related presentations at GIS-in-Action, including an E-FIT roundtable presentation.  See conference presentation links here<http://www.gisinaction.org/content/program>.  E-FIT is also about to adopt a charter<http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/CIO/GEO/fit/elevation/docs/Draft_Charter_Oregon_E-FIT_v2-20130228.pdf> which details its mission.

Changes to Oregon Spatial Data Library

In conjunction with the Oregon Explorer group at OSU, GEO has been making subtle, but important changes to the Oregon Spatial Data Library (OSDL<http://spatialdata.oregonexplorer.info/geoportal/catalog/main/home.page>) website. Oregon Explorer staff are now updating the "Featured Data" section of OSDL more frequently, highlighting datasets that were recently added or updated. Along with an uptick in the publishing of new framework datasets, the site now highlights datasets that belong to data elements of Oregon's GIS Framework.  Some users of the site are unaware that OSDL contains many GIS datasets which, while useful and important, are not part of Framework.  In order to highlight Framework elements, these entries will now display a distinctive logo:

[cid:image006.png at 01CF8485.BD88F520]

We hope that this helps users find the authoritative data they need while still allowing the spatial data library to serve a variety of users.  I encourage everyone to check the OSDL periodically or subscribe to its GeoRSS feed<http://spatialdata.oregonexplorer.info/GPT9/rest/find/document?f=georss> in order to learn about new data offerings.

A Few Observations from the Framework Coordinator:

I have been at the job of Framework Coordinator for nine months and the time has passed amazingly quickly.  I have truly enjoyed getting to know or, in many cases, getting reacquainted with GIS professionals working at state, federal, and local agencies throughout Oregon.    State government has been a bit of an adjustment for me, after many years of experience working in the private sector, local, and regional governments.  There are a vast array of applications for geospatial technologies to be found throughout state agencies and it has been a lot of fun learning about how state agencies are using GIS these days.

For the first few months on the job, my focus was on meeting as many FIT leads and participants as possible, wrapping up the FIT funding intergovernmental agreements so work could begin on these important projects, and becoming re-acquainted with the Framework program.  While I was a GIS Analyst at Lane Council of Governments I was involved with the Transportation and Hydrography FITs, but that was now several years ago and much has happened since.  Getting a sense of the current status of all fifteen FITs was my focus at the beginning of this year.  I spent a fair amount of time reviewing the status of all 251 data elements that comprise the Oregon Framework, producing the status report and poster referenced above and planning the February forum in Eugene.  In the last few months, as activity levels for a number of the FITS have cranked up, I have been busy keeping up with numerous active workgroups.  I appreciate all the effort that FIT participants are making and look forward to the coming months where we hope to update the Oregon metadata standard, create a statewide soils framework layer, author a lidar data acquisition plan, continue to make more GIS framework data available on the OSLD, amend numerous data standards, and plan for the next Framework Forum in the fall or early winter.  I am sure that the next nine months will go by just as fast!