[gis_info] April 17 #GeoBytes - FREE Using Lidar to Study Forests - ASPRS\CaGIS\GLIS

David Alvarez davidalvarez76 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 18:48:31 PDT 2015

Registration https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/7233919359159070209 <https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/7233919359159070209>

Natural resource managers are increasingly using airborne LiDAR to study forests to conduct inventories, assess habitat, study fires and fuels, monitor changes, and study ecological processes. This seminar will look at LiDAR’s strengths and weaknesses compared to other remote sensing methods to measure forests across landscapes. We will cover how LiDAR measures forests and how managers can process LiDAR data to measure their forests. We will also cover how to work with a LiDAR vendor to acquire data for forest studies and how to relate LiDAR measures with forest measurements gathered on the ground. In many cases, LiDAR data is gathered for non-forest studies (such as studying ground morphology);we will discuss how to use these common data sets to also study forests.

Van R. Kane, PhD, at the University of Washington has been using LiDAR data to study a diverse range of forests for nearly a decade. His work includes assisting managers to plan forest restorations, study the effects of fire on forests, measuring fuels, mapping forest biomass, and developing methods to study forests with LiDAR data.