[gis_info] Geography in STEM

SMITH Cy * DAS Cy.SMITH at oregon.gov
Wed May 27 14:04:31 PDT 2015

Recently, I was asked by Senator Wyden's office for language to incorporate geography in STEM for the purposes of ESEA reauthorization (No Child Left Behind Act).  I was able to get a language change from the Association of American Geographers (AAG) that they are suggesting to Senate offices for this purpose.

Senator Alexander (R-TN) has introduced S.1177 as the Senate's version of ESEA reauthorization.  It mentions STEM 192 times, without a specific definition, and allows expenditures on geography to be included in STEM at a certain level.  AAG is suggesting a specific small change to the Alexander bill to increase the allowable expenditures for geography.  The House version of ESEA reauthorization that already passed does not include any reference to STEM, much less geography, so there will be plenty of work to be done to advocate for STEM and geography inclusion when the two versions, House and Senate, are harmonized.  If you have an opportunity to advocate for including geography in STEM relative to ESEA reauthorization, it would be good to follow AAG's lead by contacting Senator Wyden and Senator Merkley.  Here's the message I sent last week to Senator Wyden's office, with the particular suggested language change:

Hi Erin, here's what I've come up with, in addition to adding geography as an example in any language that defines STEM.  My contacts at the American Association of Geographers (Doug Richardson, Executive Director and John Wertman, Government Relations Manager) tell me that Senator Alexander's bill, S.1177, doesn't have a specific definition of STEM, but does allow grant funding for geography at 5% of any ESEA grant.  They are suggesting that the percentage be raised to 15%.  That language is in Sec. 2301(b)(3).  They agreed that adding geography as an example in areas of the bill that more or less define STEM would be a good idea.

cy

Cy Smith, GISP, State GIO
DAS/CIO Geospatial Enterprise Office
Past President, Urban Regional Info. Systems Association (URISA)
Past President, National States Geographic Info. Council (NSGIC)
Past Chair, Coalition of Geospatial Organizations (COGO)
(503) 378-6066, http://gis.oregon.gov<http://gis.oregon.gov/>