[gis_info] Scoiety for Conservation Biology Annual Conference

Butterfield,Bart bart.butterfield at idfg.idaho.gov
Sat Jan 30 08:07:14 PST 2016

The International Society for Conservation GIS (SCGIS) 19th ANNUAL CONFERENCE
JUNE 22-25 2016* at the lovely ASILOMAR CONFERENCE CENTER<https://scgis.org/conference/pages/venuetext/confid/27>, Monterey CA

Climate Change and the Future of Water<http://www.scgis.org/>
This year our conference theme is centered on telling the most complex stories of our time; the story of the changing climate and the future of water. Submit an abstract and tell the conservation GIS community how you are using GIS in the most innovative ways, using the many tools of our trade: story maps, remote sensing, graphic design, and cartography and high-quality data to tell these stories so that we can all develop and implement the most relevant conservation actions possible. Come hear the keynote speakers, technical session leaders, and workshop presenters we have invited to help lead this important discussion. And of course, come network with your colleagues from around the globe!

*Please note: for this year ONLY our conference is in JUNE to accommodate this year’s one-time-only early Esri User Conference on June 27. (our international scholars also attend the Esri conference)

Registration<https://scgis.org/conference/pages/registrationandfees/confid/27> is now open! Early bird prices end at midnight February 29th 2016

Submit ABSTRACTS<https://scgis.org/content/conference/call-for-abstracts>

Keynote Speakers
Drs. Lorraine and Alan Flint
USGS Sacramento Water Science Center

Drs. Lorraine and Alan Flint are Research Hydrologists with the USGS Sacramento Water Science Center. In the 1980s and 1990s they worked at the proposed nuclear waste repository at Yucca Mountain, Nevada, and demonstrated that groundwater recharge rates were high enough to prevent dry storage of the waste. From the Yucca Mountain work, they developed the Basin Characterization Model (BCM), which calculates monthly water balance at fine scales (270m to 10 m). Inputs include climate, topography, soils, and bedrock geology, and outputs include recharge, runoff, evapotranspiration, and climatic water deficit. Climatic water deficit, in particular, is an integrated drought stress variable that is now widely used for vegetation modeling. The Flints will share their experiences doing science in a high stakes political environment, and developing the BCM as a climate change platform that delivers realistic integrated hydrologic outputs for assessments and modeling.

Pre-conference workshops on June 22 - sign up early, space is limited and they DO fill up!

1. Instructor: Max Wright
Title: Open Source SAR and Optical Mapping for Hydrological Processes
This year's workshop focuses on open-source SAR and optical mapping for particular hydrological processes

2. Instructor: Miriam Schmidts
Title: Introduction to ArcGIS Pro
ArcGIS Pro is designed to simplify desktop GIS workflows while providing new and exciting capabilities. This workshop introduces fundamental ArcGIS Pro concepts and prepares you to be productive right away. You will learn about the major components of ArcGIS Pro and new features related to mapping and visualization, editing, and analysis.

​​3. Instructor: John Shaeffer
Title: Spatial Analyst is key to climate change analysis
Using Spatial Analyst for ArcGIS, This course introduces participants to the Spatial Analyst extension and Raster GIS by working through various projects. The first project illustrates basic raster functionality by locating the best site for a solar installation. The final projects combine the skills learned in earlier projects to locate sites for elephant conservation zones in Kenya and to do cost path analysis to find the shortest path between an elephant herd and a reserve area. Time permitting; we will do a little work with ModelBuilder.

​​4. Instructor: David Asbury, Esri
Title: Using Storymaps to convey complex conservation data.

CALLING ALL STUDENTS!!! The Student Paper Competition is happening again this year! If you are interested, and if you are a full-time student, submit your abstract under the Student Competition section. First place prize: $300, Second place prize: $200, third place prize: $100. STUDENTS GET DISCOUNTS ON MEMBERSHIP, REGISTRATION

CONSIDER SUBMITTING A DONATION TO THE ANNUAL AUCTION <https://scgis.org/conference/pages/auction/confid/27> AND FUNDRAISER FOR SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM

Bart Butterfield
Manager, Idaho Fish and Wildlife Information System
Idaho Department of Fish and Game
600 S. Walnut, Box 25
Boise, ID 83707
Office: (208) 287-2722