[gis_info] 2016 GIS in Action Conference Workshop - Extending ArcGIS: Python Geoprocessing Tools and Add-Ins

David Howes david at dhowes.com
Thu Mar 24 16:27:05 PDT 2016

Hi Everyone,

In association with the upcoming GIS In Action <http://www.gisinaction.org/>
conference in Portland, I’ll be teaching a full-day workshop entitled
*Extending
ArcGIS: Python Geoprocessing Tools and Add-Ins* on Wednesday, April 6th.
The cost for the workshop is $225 if registered for the conference and $350
if not registered for the conference.

This workshop was developed jointly with Jason Pardy (formerly a key member
of the Esri Geoprocessing and Spatial Analysis team and leader of the
development of Python add-ins in ArcGIS for Desktop) and is the latest in
our GISPD.com training <http://gispd.com/training> series. The Portland
offering follows a well-received airing at the 50th Annual Alaska Surveying
& Mapping Conference <http://aksmc.org/> in Anchorage, Alaska.

Here are the key conference resources:

   - Registration <http://www.gisinaction.org/content/registration-and-fees>
   - Workshops <http://www.gisinaction.org/content/workshops-0>

*Workshop Description*

The goal of the workshop is to show how to extend ArcGIS for Desktop by
using Python to create functionality that can run as standalone programs or
operate inside the software as geoprocessing tools or add-ins.

By design, the workshop will not be hands-on. This is because it’s our
experience that delivering thorough content is more effective and efficient
when we do not have to address the complications typically associated with
supporting attendee exercises, for which it would be better to allow more
time.

Attendees will be able to leave the workshop having a strong basis for
recognizing and pursuing their ArcGIS for Desktop customization needs,
increasing the value of their ArcGIS investment and enhancing their
standing and employability as GIS professionals.

*Intended Audience*

GIS professionals familiar with ArcGIS for Desktop and Python programming
in ArcGIS.

*Learning Objectives*

·         Extend the capabilities of ArcGIS for Desktop using Python

·         Explore the relative merits and applicability of the Python
extensibility options

·         Create Python standalone programs, geoprocessing tools and
add-ins

Thanks.

David

*David A. Howes*