[gis_info] GeoByte(ASPRS\CaGIS\AAGS\Geo4All) UN Open GIS Initiative November 11th

David Alvarez davidalvarez76 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 09:49:54 PDT 2016

Register here

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/9194387089671448580

*UN Open GIS Initiative – Open Source Geospatial S/W for the UN*
As the open source geospatial software becomes a fundamental basis of GIS
applications, there is a strong demand from the UN for many peace keeping
operations. In order to respond to this demand, we have launched the UN
Open GIS initiative since March 2016. The objective of the initiative is to
identify and develop open source geospatial software and services that
meets the requirements of UN operations, taking full advantage of the
expertise of mission partners including partner nations, technology
developed by contributing countries, international organizations, academia,
NGO’s, private sector. Three teams (called Spirals) have been actively
working to achieve this objective. The first team (Spiral I) aims at
developing and deploying an open source geospatial information
infrastructure for the UN as well as a geo-portal. The second team (Spiral
II) provides the capacity building programs on open source geospatial
software to the UN staffs. The third team (Spiral III) intends to implement
open source geospatial analysis tools for divers UN operations. We are also
planning Spiral IV for geospatial data collection task. In this webinar,
the background, motivations, visions, and roadmap of the initiative will be
presented as well as the activities and technical aspects of each spirals.
The UN Open GIS Initiative is open, your contributions are always very much
welcome.

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the webinar.

--------
David Alvarez

“THE FURTHER BACKWARDS YOU LOOK, THE FURTHER FORWARD YOU CAN SEE"

Winston Churchill