[gis_info] Migrating from ArcGIS Desktop to ArcGIS Pro - Don't Wait Too Long

Eric Pimpler eric at geospatialtraining.com
Mon Feb 13 13:35:24 PST 2017

Now is the time to begin preparation for migrating from ArcGIS Desktop to
 ArcGIS Pro.  Esri has  implemented a hard cut-off for materials and
support for older versions of ArcMap, and each time a new version comes out
an old version is dropped. When 10.4 came out, EVERYTHING that was 10.1 or
earlier was dropped – including online and printed training materials, and
all tech support. If you call tech support with a 10.1 issue they won’t
help you.

Now with the 10.5 release everything 10.2 and earlier is gone. The Fall
2017 release of ArcGIS Pro is expected to reach full equalization with
ArcMap – it’ll have all the same functionality and no new releases of
ArcMap will be made after that. At that point, each time a Pro release
comes out an ArcMap release will be dropped so that by the time there are 3
releases of Pro, ArcMap will be gone (and all its support and training).

I would recommend that everyone set up a Pro license and start looking at
it and how it wants to store data – then begin to develop a transition
strategy.  I would say that everyone has about 12 months to come up with
that plan, and another 12 months to implement it. A last minute transition
to Pro would be bad.

On the plus side, I find Pro MUCH easier to work with than ArcMap. It’s
really a “project based” concept rather than a “map based” concept. For
example, you can have all zoning and parcel info set up in one project and
from that make a variety of property exhibit maps of various sizes and
formats – and still only have one editing pane for updates. You can also
have a “property owner notification” project that can make exhibit maps for
City Council from all types of cases – and it has no editing capabilities
at all. Only map production. It’s really nice.

By my estimation, ArcMap will be gone by Spring of 2019. That sounds like a
long way off, but for anyone having to redevelop scripts and 3rd party
software it’ll seem very short.

Interested in learning more about ArcGIS Pro?  We have several free online
webinars as well as some upcoming classes in Portland:

Webinars - Creating 3D Maps with ArcGIS Pro - https://vimeo.com/151437704
Managing Projects with ArcGIS Pro - https://vimeo.com/149778938
Introducing ArcGIS Pro - https://vimeo.com/144048659

All our webinars can be found at:
http://geospatialtraining.com/recorded-webinars/

Classes
Learning ArcGIS Pro: Fundamentals - July 31st - August 1st - Portland
http://geospatialtraining.com/introduction-to-arcgis-pro/

Introduction to Programming ArcGIS Pro with Python - August 2nd and 3rd -