[gis_info] Geospatial Data Act

SMITH Cy * DAS Cy.SMITH at oregon.gov
Mon Jun 26 11:47:48 PDT 2017

Some of you may be seeing email, blog or twitter traffic today or in the near future about the Geospatial Data Act, S.1253, that was introduced in the U.S. Senate in late May.  Senator Wyden co-sponsored this bill.  I helped craft some of the language, particularly in Sections 2 and 11.  I was asked to help by the National States Geographic Information Council (NSGIC) so they could protect the interests of their members and others that are NOT licensed surveyors, architects or engineers.

There was an article published by the American Association of Geographers last week that misinterpreted the language of the bill.  I wrote an article, published by NSGIC today, to try to clarify the matter.  Please see the article below and pass it on.  Thanks!

Cy

https://nsgic.memberclicks.net/geospatial-data-act-sets-table

Cy Smith, GISP, State GIO
OSCIO Geospatial Enterprise Office
Secretary, Coalition of Geospatial Organizations (COGO)
Past President, Urban Regional Info. Systems Association (URISA)
Past President, National States Geographic Info. Council (NSGIC)
(503) 378-6066, http://gis.oregon.gov<http://gis.oregon.gov/>