[gis_info] New Article - Analyzing Wildfire Activity with Spatial Analytics – Part 1

Eric Pimpler eric at geospatialtraining.com
Tue May 9 10:51:58 PDT 2017

Today’s post will be the first in a series designed to introduce the reader
to a typical spatial analytics project using the Spatial Statistics toolbox
in ArcGIS along with the R and Python programming languages.  We’re going
to apply various spatial analytics techniques to wildfire activity in the
western United States.

As any experienced GIS practitioner understands, a large percentage of the
time and effort in any GIS project (or data science project) is spent
acquiring, cleaning, and organizing data.  The real world, and it’s data,
is messy!  A recent data science survey
<https://visit.crowdflower.com/data-science-report.html> found that data
scientists spend 60% of their time cleaning data.   Frankly I think that
might be on the low side, at least for GIS projects.  This project will be
no different.  In this first post we’re going to acquire the dataset that
will be used in our project.  Future posts will cover the use of various
spatial statistics tools for the analysis of wildfire data.

Read the entire article.
<http://geospatialtraining.com/analyzing-wildfire-activity-with-spatial-analytics-part-1/>

--
Eric Pimpler