[gis_info] Interactive Wildfire Application for Western United States

Eric Pimpler eric at geospatialtraining.com
Fri Jun 1 09:06:31 PDT 2018

Using the Federal Wildland Fire Occurrence Database along with current
wildfire activity information provided by Inciweb and drought information
provided by the University of Nebraska, Geospatial Training Services
<http://geospatialtraining.com/> has developed an interactive web
application for visualizing wildfire activity in the western United
States.  We’ve previously written
<http://geospatialtraining.com/visualizing-the-surge-in-large-wildfire-activity-in-the-western-united-states/>
about
the surge in wildfire activity in the western United States.

We used the R statistical platform and programming language along with
Shiny and Leaflet to develop the application.  We’re also developing a Web
App Builder version of this application, which will be released soon.

The application includes a number of panels including a map of current
wildfires and drought conditions, historical information by state for total
acreage burned, number of wildfires, average wildfire size by state and
decade, length of fire season, and acreage burned by federal agency.

You can take a look at the application at: https://geospatialtraining
.shinyapps.io/wildfireapp/

--
Eric Pimpler