[gis_info] Call for projects! (UW GIS Certificate Program)

Arnone, Harvey Harvey.Arnone at seattle.gov
Mon Oct 15 23:29:39 PDT 2018

The UW Professional and Continuing Education's GIS Certificate program is seeking project ideas for the 2018/2019 academic year.  As in the past, we are soliciting ideas from potential sponsors around the region, including local or regional governments agencies, non-profits, or engineering and consulting firms.  If you have a project idea that might be a good fit for the students of the GIS Certificate Program, we would appreciate hearing about it.
Here's a little bit about what would make a good student project:

  *   Size:  should be appropriate for a 3-4 (maybe 5) student project team
  *   Schedule:  projects really kick into gear January 1st, though some planning takes place during the months prior to this.  Deliverables are completed and handed over to the sponsor in June.
  *   Content:  the project should involve more than just data development in order to give the students a good learning opportunity.
  *   Sponsorship:  some of our best projects have been real-world practical projects from organizations like yours from around the region (including, in the past, Washington, Oregon, and Alaska). These projects are typically efforts that the organization has wanted to act on, but until now was unable to address due to limited resources.
  *   Time commitment for sponsors:  this does not need to be a great impact on you.  Some students interview their sponsors to assess the needs and requirements, and then work independently from that point forward.  Other projects have very active sponsors who meet several times with the student team, review documents, provide feedback, and receive periodic status reports from the team.
I have found that many organizations have perfect candidate projects in tasks that have been lingering on the back-burner for some time.  Using students, it is a great way to get some of these small  projects done and at the same time provide valuable experiences for the students.  In terms of quality, many past project have been very successful and professionally executed.  Several have won awards at the annual WAURISA conference. Overall, we receive positive feedback from our sponsors and a few of them have gone on to hire some of the students.
If you have any questions or project ideas, please feel free to contact me. Here are the details that we would need to get started:

  *   Sponsor name and contact information
  *   Name of proposed project
  *   Description of proposed project (a short paragraph is ideal)
We're getting a bit of a late start this year.  Students will begin discussing projects on Monday of October 29 and it will take 3-4 weeks for the cohort to finalize on a set of projects.  Ideally we would like to hear from you on or before Monday October 29.  However, if you think of a project later than that, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Thanks ahead of time, and please feel free to forward this to others as you see fit.
-Harvey Arnone
   Instructor, GIS Certificate Program (UW Professional and Continuing Education)