[gis_info] GIS Day event

SMITH Cy * DAS Cy.SMITH at oregon.gov
Tue Oct 23 15:14:02 PDT 2018

Please share with your friends & colleagues!

GIS Day Social

What: Portland's 7th Annual GIS Day Social

When: Wednesday November 14th, 6:00pm - 9:00pm

Where: Ecotrust, 721 NW 9th Ave #200, Portland, OR

RSVP at: http://meetu.ps/e/FYTmh/jRd2q/f (you're also welcome to just show up!)

Please join us for Portland's 7th Annual GIS Day Social! This year, we'll gather in Ecotrust's beautiful meeting space from 6pm - 9pm. The evening will feature:

  *   A keynote from Lyzi Diamond, a geospatial expert and software engineer who is passionate about teaching people about maps and technology
  *   Free pizza*, salad and beverages, courtesy of our generous sponsors
  *   Plenty of social time to catch up with old geo friends and meet new ones
  *   A raffle for some fun geo-prizes!

Students, professionals, and anyone interested in GIS and geospatial technologies are all welcome. This is a great opportunity to make some new professional connections and strengthen old ones, and we hope to see you there!

This event is volunteer run, and would be impossible without the generous support of our sponsors:

Gold level: Quantum Spatial

Silver level: ASPRS CRR, PCC, Ecotrust, OR-URISA, Mapbox

Bronze level: PDX OSGeo, Esri, Metro, PSU, DOGAMI, SCGIS, PC Trask

*Includes some gluten free, veggie, and vegan pizzas

GIS Day Missing Maps Mapathon

What: GIS Day Missing Maps Mapathon

When: Wednesday November 14th, 3:30pm - 5:30pm

Where: Portland State University, Geog Dept (exact room TBD)

Register at: https://www.meetup.com/OpenStreetMap-Portland/events/254936446/ (We are limited to 30 people, so sign up soon)

This year for GIS Day, use your geospatial skill to help people in vulnerable regions at this humanitarian mapathon! Madeline Steele of TriMet, a local OSM organizer, will lead the group, and we have booked a room at PSU with 20 computers and space for 10 laptops. It's a great chance to do some good, learn about OSM, and meet a few like-minded mappers. If you can, please also join us for the GIS Day evening social at Ecotrust at 6pm. Details on that are here:

Background on the Missing Maps project from the Red Cross

Each year, disasters around the world kill nearly 100,000 and affect or displace 200 million people. Many of the places where these disasters occur are literally 'missing' from any map and first responders lack the information to make valuable decisions regarding relief efforts. Missing Maps is an open, collaborative project cofounded by the American Red Cross. It aims to put 200 million people "on the map" by 2021 - mapping areas where humanitarian organizations like the Red Cross are trying to meet the needs of vulnerable people. Due to current disasters and rapidly-changing needs, the November 15th Missing Maps tasks will be identified on or around November 1.

http://www.missingmaps.org/

--
Christina Friedle
Geography Faculty