[gis_info] Conclusion re historic fire polygons for Oregon

Erik Fernandez ef at oregonwild.org
Thu Oct 8 17:14:37 PDT 2020

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses. As suggested, Emmor Nile was
very helpful.

Here's the story, mostly good news in that there is accurate data, it's
just spread out in several layers.

This layer appears to be most accurate for 2000-2019:

https://ftp.nifc.gov/public/incident_specific_data/pacific_nw/!NWCC_INFO/FIRE_HISTORY/NWCC_Large_Fire_Perimeters_2000_2019_gdb.zip

This layer appears to be most accurate pre-2000 (though missing *some *fires
from 1910):

https://navigator.blm.gov/api/share/pub_9f3654d0c9c1b50c

This layer includes the missing 1910 fires:
https://data-nifc.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/4454e5d8e8c44b0280258b51bcf24794_0

Watch out for this layer though. It's arguably very comprehensive but seems
to be full of errors and messy data.

*To create what I think is the most accurate Oregon fire polygon layer*, I
compiled the best parts of the above layers and added in 2020.

I've posted it here
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yjzhw0Qz6ZAE2THDw7UXyuS0wQIZ1YBt/view?usp=sharing>.
If you see anything wrong with it or any of the above assessments, please
let me know.

Again, thanks for all the quick suggestions and tips.

Erik