[HealthyTribes] HPCDP Tribal TPEP Digest - 9/21/20

Thirstrup Ashley ASHLEY.THIRSTRUP at dhsoha.state.or.us
Mon Sep 21 12:20:09 PDT 2020

Dear Tribal TPEP Coordinators,

We hope this finds you all staying safe as our state faces unprecedented wildfires and smoke. We appreciate all you are doing to help support your communities during this difficult time for Oregon.

HPCDP is exploring a new way to share updates and resources to the grantee listservs.  You likely noticed that we have slowed communication to the listservs during the last several months, as many of you have shifted work to support the response to the COVID pandemic. In an effort to streamline relevant updates, resources and information, we will be sending the "HPCDP digest" every few weeks. The email will include resources and updates with links to additional information and staff contacts to learn more. Please see below and let us know what you think.

  1.  Presenting the Oregon Tobacco Retail Health Equity Project: Promoting Healthier Communities. A new health equity mapping project is available at https://www.oregon.gov/oha/PH/DISEASESCONDITIONS/CHRONICDISEASE/DATAREPORTS/Pages/Retailers.aspx. This is a tool were users can identify down to the census block group (neighborhood) what the tobacco retail environment looks like in Oregon based on a few sociodemographic indicators, including socioeconomic status, race and ethnicity. We will be holding a webinar to highlight the mapping project and to support grantees to use the new tool. Please register for the webinar at https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/rt/2505182677713961488 (Available dates: September, 28th 11:00- 12:00am and Oct. 2nd  2:00- 3:00pm). Questions? Please contact Sharon Coryell at sharon.r.coryell at state.or.us<mailto:sharon.r.coryell at state.or.us>.

  1.  A huge shout out to the Cow Creek Band of Umpqua Tribe of Indians. Tribal youth advocates developed amazing TikTok videos about traditional tobacco use. These youth leaders show that tradition keeps community well (see attached videos).

To all, please continue to share information with your liaison to be included in future HPCDP digests.

  1.  New Tobacco Fact Sheets - English and Spanish. We have updated County Tobacco Fact Sheets in English and Spanish! New fact sheets are available on Smokefree Oregon on each county's page and on the HPCDP webpage here: https://www.oregon.gov/oha/PH/PREVENTIONWELLNESS/TOBACCOPREVENTION/Pages/countyfacts.aspx  The updated fact sheets include the steep increase in youth e-cigarette use from 2017 to 2019. Download the new fact sheets for your areas and use them with partners, decision makers, and colleagues to illustrate the local burden of tobacco-caused death and disease. Contact Sarah Wylie with questions at SARAH.A.WYLIE at dhsoha.state.or.us<mailto:SARAH.A.WYLIE at dhsoha.state.or.us>.

  1.  New technical assistance and training for policy/systems from Counter Tools ahead! We are excited to partner with Counter Tools, a public health non-profit working to advance place-based public health and health equity through policy, systems, and environmental changes. They are a dedicated team of public health nerds, policy wonks, data enthusiasts, visionaries, and storytellers on a mission to support positive social change. They are honored to partner with teams working on tobacco control in Oregon, and would love your input through a short 4-item survey on how to be most helpful to you.
Check out https://countertools.org/blog/ for more information. Contribute your thoughts on upcoming trainings at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfMXYfcNvDq_rCkLGDLVTsryNNfzePOHbyuWZcbvJXobrP2UQ/viewform
Contact Derek Smith with questions at Derek.smith at state.or.us<mailto:Derek.smith at state.or.us>.

  1.  Next Tobacco Prevention Policy Zoom call Tuesday, Sept. 22 from 11-12. We are continuing to offer an entirely voluntary monthly Tobacco Prevention Policy meeting via Zoom.  Please feel free to share with Derek or your liaison any additional agenda items. We also welcome your updates to the call, they really inspire us all and foster crucial sharing and support between our work.  Reach out to Derek or your liaison for call-in details or to receive the forwarded appointment (details below).  https://www.zoomgov.com/j/1608139990?pwd=bTZXRWErcGVCdyt6YnVuc25pMWZiQT09
Or by telephone:
        +1 669 254 5252 Meeting ID: 160 813 9990
Passcode: 431495
Contact Derek Smith with questions at Derek.smith at state.or.us<mailto:Derek.smith at state.or.us>.

  1.  Sampling of new TPEP Portal updates. Many new TPEP Portal<https://smokefreeoregon.com/login/> resources have been added including: 1) How flavor restrictions affected youth Juul use 2) Indigenous imagery use by the tobacco industry 3)  How to promote health equity in tobacco policy 4) Taking Down Tobacco- an online youth advocate training program 5) New to tobacco control? See our recommended series of webinars 6) Tobacco in Rural America webinar 7) Black Lives, Black Lungs short film and discussion guide 8) New Youth Risk Behavior Survey results. Please check out the TPEP Portal for additional resources, toolkits, trainings, and support. Please contact your liaison if you need password support to log in to the TPEP portal.

  1.  Overview of new training and technical assistance opportunities for you!  This Fall and beyond we have various types of training and technical assistance available to grantees.  It is our hope that we can connect you all with helpful resources and support to continue doing your strong work.  These include: 1) Community Policy Leadership Institute- centering health equity in policy change 2) Health Systems Strategies support 3) Improving cessation infrastructure with behavioral health and 4) Policy training and technical assistance.  Please review the attached new training and TA list for more details about resources to support your work. For more information, please contact Ashley Thirstrup at ashley.thirstrup at state.or.us<mailto:ashley.thirstrup at state.or.us> and please continue to also reach out to Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board's Kerri Lopez at klopez at npaihb.org<mailto:klopez at npaihb.org> and Mattie T. Palmanteer mtomeopalmanteer at npaihb.org<mailto:mtomeopalmanteer at npaihb.org> with any technical assistance needs.

  1.  School district recruitment for the 2020 Student Health Survey is underway. School district recruitment for the 2020 Student Health Survey is underway. Timing of the survey will be flexible this year to accommodate the different needs of schools. Administration will begin next month and may continue through the early Spring.  Please reach out to your local school district administrators to encourage participation if they have not already agreed (see attachment). Contact Vicky Buelow with questions at victoria.h.buelow at state.or.us<mailto:victoria.h.buelow at state.or.us>.

  1.  Tobacco retail violations, retail environment and hospitalizations interactive sites now available. HPCDP is pleased to announce we have added tobacco underage sales, tobacco retail environment and hospitalizations data to our Oregon Chronic Conditions Data Portal. You can review the data displayed in an interactive GIS map for your county. Hospital data is available under "Health Care & Chronic Conditions" and includes diseases such as alcoholic liver disease as well as other common hospitalizations for chronic conditions. Explore the data at https://www.oregon.gov/oha/PH/DISEASESCONDITIONS/CHRONICDISEASE/DATAREPORTS/Pages/Chronic-Conditions-Data-Portal.aspx. Questions? Contact HPCDP Surveillance and Evaluation Team  at hpcdp.surveillance at dhsoha.state.or.us<mailto:hpcdp.surveillance at dhsoha.state.or.us>.

  1.  Motivational Interviewing: From Basic to Advanced. Northeast Oregon Network (NEON) offers MI Training for Social Workers, CHWs, THW, Prevention, CPS, Case Managers, others. This is a 9 month course with $850 in possible scholarships available. Gain new MI skills or solidify current skills; possible 35 CEUs available. Contact Connie Sherrard with questions at csherrard at neonoregon.org<mailto:csherrard at neonoregon.org>.

  1.  Two upcoming webinars- Department of Defense and American Academy of Pediatrics. Please note two interesting webinars being offered in the second half of September. For those working with servicemembers, Department of Defense is offering a webinar on military readiness versus smoking. The American Academy of Pediatrics is additionally providing an overview of e-cigarettes that may be of interest to your community. Check out https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/225864286297784847 for the military readiness training. For Vaping 101 from the Amer. Acad. of Pediatrics: https://bit.ly/3jZaJZ1. Contact Derek Smith with questions at Derek.smith at state.or.us<mailto:Derek.smith at state.or.us>.

Thank you,

Ashley Thirstrup, MPA
Manager, Community Policy, Systems and Environmental Change
OREGON HEALTH AUTHORITY
Public Health Division
Health Promotion & Chronic Disease Prevention Section
Ashley.thirstrup at dhsoha.state.or.us<mailto:Ashley.thirstrup at dhsoha.state.or.us>
Desk: (971) 673-1026
Cell: (503) 720-2557
www.oregon.gov/OHA<http://www.oregon.gov/OHA>

pronouns: she/her

The Oregon Public Health Division is located on the traditional village sites of the Multnomah, Kathlamet, Clackamas, Chinook, Tualatin, Kalapuya, Molalla, and other Indigenous nations.