[Heritage] Oregon Heritage News 2007-11-01
Heritage.Info at state.or.us
Thu Nov 1 09:20:40 PDT 2007
In this issue:
1. Wood book talk part of Warriors programming
2. Spruce Goose flight to be celebrated
3. Storytellers to gather in Portland
4. Eugene museum to note its 20th anniversary
5. Heritage Commission plans Roseburg meeting
JOSEPH BOOK TALK PART OF WARRIORS PROGRAMMING
George Venn, professor emeritus of Eastern Oregon University, will
present the story of C.E.S. Wood and his connection to Chief Joseph and
the Nez Perce Tribe at 1 p.m. Nov. 3 at Tamástslikt Cultural
Institute near Pendleton.
In his book, "Soldier to Advocate, C.E.S. Wood's 1877 Legacy," Venn has
collected original material, much of it authored by Wood, which he will
discuss in his presentation at Tamástslikt. Wood was a young Army
officer with the military, chasing Chief Joseph and his band across what
are now Idaho, Wyoming and Montana in 1877. Wood created a pencil
sketch of Joseph at the famous surrender, when he quoted Joseph as
saying that "From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more
forever," a highly poetic statement and one that Venn considers a
"disguised heroic sonnet" written by Wood, rather than as a verbatim
transcription of Joseph's words.
Later, when the U.S. reneged on the promises made to Joseph by the
general at the surrender, Wood appealed to authorities in Washington.
Wood spent decades attempting to win a semblance of justice for Joseph
and his people.
Venn's talk is taking place in conjunction with the First Warrior
photograph portraiture of American Indian World War II veterans on
exhibit in the Tamástslikt gallery through Dec. 30. American Indian men
and women claim a higher military enlistment rate than any other ethnic
group. Jeffery A. Mitchell is the photographer who captured these
"forgotten warriors" warriors on camera and wrote their stories.
Mitchell stated that many of their direct ancestors died at the hands of
the U.S. military, and these modern-day warriors have faced prejudice
and racism from their fellow citizens. Umatilla tribal veteran, Leonard
Cree, is one of the portrait subjects. *In addition, the community
has lent a huge volume of supplementary photographic and artifactual
material that is also on exhibit during the *First Warrior* run,"
said Randall Melton, the curator-registrar at Tamástslikt.
Tamástslikt Cultural Institute is located near Wildhorse Resort &
Casino, 10 minutes east of Pendleton. From Interstate 84 take exit 216
and follow the signs five minutes to the Institute. For more
information: 541-966-9748 or www.tamastslikt.org.
SPRUCE GOOSE FLIGHT TO BE CELEBRATED
The Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum is honoring the only flight of
the world-famous *Spruce Goose* at the flying boat*s home in
McMinnville on Nov. 2. Activities will include speaker presentations,
special exhibitions and a 1947 themed hangar dance.
In honor of the anniversary, the museum will be opening a new exhibit
*Wisconsin Flying Trees* and will feature a 10 a.m. presentation
by Sara Witter Connor, titled *Wisconsin Flying Trees: Wisconsin
Plywood Industry's Contribution to WWII*. Presentations will include
an 11 a.m. presentation titled *Howard Hughes: Crazy Like a Fox* by
George Marrett, Hughes Test Pilot; a noon presentation titled *For the
Love of the Flying Boat* by Mike Wright, Restoration Project Manager;
a 1 p.m. presentation titled *Moving the Spruce Goose from Long Beach
Harbor into the Dome* by George Larrazolo, American Riggers; and a
3:30 p.m. presentation titled *Connecting the Present to the Past*
by historian Katherine Huit.
The centerpiece of the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum is the
world-famous Hughes Flying Boat Spruce Goose. With a wingspan of nearly
320 feet, it dwarfs even the DC-3 that resides under its left wing.
Originally created as a flying cargo and troop carrier, the Spruce Goose
was designed by Howard Hughes and promoted by Henry Kaiser. It was
created as a solution to the German U Boat threat during World War II.
On Nov. 2, 1947, after two taxi tests, Hughes lowered the flaps and the
Hughes Flying Boat lifted off the water for the first and last time. In
1976, after Hughes' death, plans were made to disassemble the plane and
send the parts to eight museums around the world for display. But before
carrying out the plan, the Aero Club of Southern California partnered
with the Wrather Corporation to display the plane intact in a custom
dome next to the RMS Queen Mary at Long Beach. In 1992, Evergreen
International Aviation was awarded custody of the Hughes Flying Boat.
The Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum*s hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m,
daily except when it is closed for Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, New
Year*s Day and Easter. The museum is located at 500 NE Captain Michael
King Smith Way, across the highway from the McMinnville Airport on
Highway 18. Call (503) 434-4180 for more information, and visit
STORYTELLERS TO GATHER IN PORTLAND
The 3rd annual Northwest Indian Storytellers Festival and Symposium
will take place Nov. 2-4 at Portland State University.
The festival will take place at 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday in PSU's
Hoffman Hall, 1833 SW 11th Ave. A public symposium on Native American
storytelling will take place at 10 a.m. Sunday at PSU's Native American
Student and Community Center at the corner of SW Broadway and SW Jackson
Events are funded in part by the National Endowment for the Arts,
Northwest Indian Storytellers Association and Wisdom of the Elders. For
event information and directions, call 503-517-9759 or
EUGENE MUSEUM TO NOTE ITS 20th ANNIVERSARY
"Rock Art -- Ancient Images, New Views, a 20th Anniversary
Retrospective of Works on Paper by Allen Cox," will open Nov. 2 at the
University of Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History, 1680
E. 15th Ave., Eugene.
In 1987, the Museum of Natural and Cultural History opened the doors of
its new home in a building that is reminiscent of a traditional Pacific
Northwest longhouse. The first exhibit featured Cox's large-format
airbrushed watercolors of pictographs and petroglyphs from the Columbia
River area. For the 2007 exhibit, the museum has borrowed 15 paintings
that were sold at the first show. The featured piece, "She Who Watches,"
was purchased by the Eugene Water and Electric Board.
"I am thrilled that these images can be seen again. These are things
that you can't find on your own," said Cox. The line drawings were made
in the 1960s, when these images were still visible. Since then,
hydroelectric dams built along the Columbia River have raised the water
level, covering many of these ancient images. Cox is an abstract
painter who now resides in Knoxville, Tenn.
Also showing on weekends at the museum during November is "Echo of
Water against Rocks: Remembering the Last Days of Celilo Falls." This
video explores how the damming of Celilo Falls on the Columbia River
ended an ancient way of life for the Pacific Northwest native community
For more information, call the museum at 541-346-3024 or visit
HERITAGE COMMISSION PLANS ROSEBURG MEETING
The Oregon Heritage Commission will have its quarterly public meeting
at 9 a.m. Nov. 5 at the Douglas County Museum of Natural History and
History, 123 Museum Drive, Roseburg.
Items on the commission's agenda include Oregon Heritage Grants, the
former Historic Properties Commission inventory, and other topics. For
more information, contact commission coordinator Kyle Jansson at
503-986-0673 or heritage.info at state.or.us
Established by the 1995 Legislature, the Oregon Heritage Commission
acts as a connector and catalyst for organizations and individuals
engaged in preserving and interpreting Oregon's heritage resources.
Commission grant programs support public and non-profit museums, and the
conservation and development of Oregon's cultural resources.
The Roseburg meeting site is accessible to people with disabilities.
Special accommodations may be arranged up to 72 hours in advance by
Oregon Heritage News is a service of the Oregon Heritage Commission,
which can be contacted at heritage.info at state.or.us
More information about the Heritage