[Heritage] Heritage Commission to Assess Health of Oregon Heritage in 2010

Heritage Info heritage.info at state.or.us
Tue Dec 29 14:40:01 PST 2009

The Oregon Heritage Commission has launched an assessment of the status
of heritage and heritage organizations in the state, including the
threats they face. The assessment is the first step toward developing a
long range strategy for preserving Oregon’s endangered heritage
resources.

“Many cultural heritage organizations and sectors are under stress,"
said Commission Chair George Kramer of Ashland. “In order to develop
successful strategies that address their needs, we need to first
discover the many challenges they face. We expect that some of the
challenges are nationwide in scope, while others are unique to
Oregon.”

In addition to compiling existing data from diverse locations, the
assessment will include online and written surveys that will be
distributed next month. Among those surveyed will be archaeologists,
archivists, museums, heritage organizations, historic cemeteries,
tribes, and preservationists.

“We will look at organizational and financial stability, community
engagement, collaboration, programming, and outreach efforts,” said
Kramer.

Major and minor heritage organizations, among them the Oregon
Historical Society, the Southern Oregon Historical Society, and the End
of the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center in Oregon City, reported
financial and operational challenges during 2009. For example, the
Oregon Historical Society lost nearly 70 percent of its public funding,
one of the largest percentage losses among state historical societies
surveyed recently by the American Association for State and Local
History.

The Oregon Heritage Commission coordinates, advocates, educates and
promotes support for Oregon’s heritage community, organizations, and
cultural resources. It is comprised of nine gubernatorial appointments
and eight ex-officio members representing the geographic and cultural
diversity of the state.

For more information, contact Kyle Jansson at 503-986-0673 or
heritage.info at state.or.us