[Heritage] Oregon Heritage News 2009-02-06

Heritage Info Heritage.Info at state.or.us
Fri Feb 6 13:39:55 PST 2009

In this issue:
1.  Grange gets home on the National Register
2.  State Constitution to be put on display
3.  Your website comments welcomed
4.  Heritage Commission to meet Feb. 13
5.  More sesquicentennial events


Eugene's Willakenzie Grange Hall has been placed in the National
Register of Historic Places. 

Built in 1913 as the meeting hall for Willakenzie Grange #498, this
vernacular-style building stands as a reminder of the once-dominant
agricultural community that occupied the region since its earliest
pioneer settlement. Will Ayres and Frank Harlow, both area farmers and
sons of 19th century settlers, organized the Grange in 1913 with 64
initial members.

The group decided on the name Willakenzie, combining the names of the
nearby Willamette and McKenzie Rivers. Grange members themselves
constructed the building, and once complete it served as an area meeting
place. Grange members were active participants in the annual Lane County
Fair, voiced concerns about a number of local issues, and established
the Producer's Public Market in 1915, which later became the Lane County
Farmers Market. 

Oregon's State Advisory Committee on Historic Preservation recommended
the building's nomination in October 2008. More than 70 historic Eugene
properties are now listed in the National Register, which is maintained
by the National Park Service under the authority of the National
Historic Preservation Act of 1966. 

More information about the National Register and recent Oregon listings
is online at www.oregonheritage.org (click on "National Register" at
left of page). 


The 1857 Oregon Constitution will be on display in the rotunda of the
State Capitol from Feb. 12-14 as the state observes the 150th
anniversary of statehood. The document is normally housed at the Oregon
State Archives.

The original 1857 constitution and a journal of the proceedings of the
state constitutional convention in Salem will be in a locked case at the
Capitol. Hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 12-13, and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Feb. 14.

In preparation to see the constitution, Oregonians are encouraged to
learn more about the creation of the document by exploring the Crafting
the Oregon Constitution Web exhibit at

The exhibit looks at the development of the Oregon Constitution,
particularly events surrounding the 1857 constitutional convention. In
the process, it examines life, politics, and important issues in the
years before and after the convention. It also looks at how the
constitution has evolved during the 150 years since the convention.


Just a friendly reminder that your input is quite valuable to us so
that we can improve our website as well as the overall Oregon Parks and
Recreation Department website. The online survey can be accessed at the
Heritage Programs home page, www.oregonheritage.org.  We thank you in
advance for your participation. The survey will be available until  Feb.


The Oregon Heritage Commission will meet at 1 p.m. Feb. 13 at the
offices of Travel Oregon, 670 Hawthorne St. SE, Salem.

The agenda includes reports on ongoing commission activities,
presentations about the Central Cascades GeoTourism Map Project, and
other heritage matters. The agenda will be posted on the commission's
website at www.oregonheritage.org 

The services, programs and activities of the Oregon Parks and
Recreation Department are covered by the Americans with Disabilities
Act. If you need special accommodations to participate in this meeting,
please contact the OPRD ADA coordinator at 503-986-0748 at least 72
hours prior to the start of the meeting.


ALBANY:  The Monteith Historical Society, 518 Second Ave. SW, will have
an event from noon-4 p.m. Feb. 14  with music, living history and
birthday cake. The event also includes a wagon and buggy show with
vehicles coming from all over the state. There will be prizes awarded in
several categories including a *People*s Choice award*.  Living
history demonstrators will show Dutch oven cooking, coopering, and
quilted clothing of the pioneer period. The museum*s exhibits have
refreshed and a new exhibit space has been filled with exhibits on the
Monteiths and their contributions to early Albany.  The Monteith House
was built in 1849, and is the oldest building in Albany. For more
information, contact Oscar Hult, president of the Monteith Historical
Society, at (541) 979-9108 or to register a wagon or buggy. 

BAKER CITY:  The Baker County Historical Society and the Baker Heritage
Museum are joining together to celebrate Oregon*s 150th birthday. A
presentation by quilt collector Charlotte Wirfs will begin at 7 p.m.
Feb. 13 at the museum. Quilts from the museum*s collection will be
displayed with Wirfs providing historical information about each quilt.
>From her private collection Wirfs will display and discuss two quilts
made by members of the Willamette Valley*s Aurora Colony (1865-1883).
Her presentation will include information on conservation and
preservation of vintage and antique quilts, dating fabric, identifying
quilt patterns and the use and value of quilts in Oregon*s early days
of statehood. The event is free and open to the public and will be held
at the museum, 2480 Grove St. For more information, contact Joan Jacobs
at the museum at 541-523-9308 or jjacobs at bakercounty.org

SALEM:  The Main Salem Post office branch would like history
organizations to know that on Feb. 14 they will be canceling stamps at
the Oregon State Capitol with a special one day cancellation in green
ink rather than traditional black. They will cancel any current first
class postage. It does not have to be the Oregon sesquicentennial stamp.
If businesses would like to take advantage of this a bit early they can
take first class stamps letters to the Main Salem post office earlier in
the week for this special cancellation but they will not be mailed until
Feb 14. You must ask at the post office window to have the letters
stamped with the special cancellation stamp don't
just drop them in a mail box.  

ST. PAUL:  The Newell House Museum will unveil Feb. 14 a new book
"First Ladies of Oregon" on Feb. 14. Newell House recently received a
grant from the Oregon Community Foundation* to document and to restore
the gowns worn by Oregon*s First Ladies.  They have been working for
the past few months on the project by improving conservation practices,
restoring several of the dresses in the collection and documenting the
collection through photographs, illustrations and information about the
women who wore the dresses all culminating in this new book. The Oregon
State Society Daughters of the American Revolution will give a look at
the collection, a preview of the book, and, of course, birthday cake.
The museum, located in the Champoeg State Heritage Area near St. Paul
will be open from 1:30-3:30 p.m. to the public. For more information
about the museum, call 503-678-5537, or visit our website at
www.newellhouse.com .
Oregon Heritage News is a service of the Oregon Heritage Commission,
which can be contacted at heritage.info at state.or.us 

More information about the Heritage mailing list