[Heritage] Oregon Heritage News 2009-10-06

Heritage Info heritage.info at state.or.us
Tue Oct 6 15:12:36 PDT 2009

In this issue:
1.  Two buildings added to National Register
2.  Encyclopedia, Architecture Center team for workshop
3.  Home movie day to unroll in Portland
4.  Chinese massacre book author sets appearances
5.  Multnomah Library exhibits its origins


The Upper Sandy Guard Station Cabin near Government Camp and the Hotel
Alma in Portland have been listed in the National Register of Historic

Constructed in 1935, and located near the Pacific Crest National Scenic
Trail within the Mount Hood National Forest, the Upper Sandy Guard
Station Cabin was listed in the National Register for its association
with early U.S. Forest Service recreation management, its role in the
protection of the Bull Run watershed, and its association with one of
the many New Deal work-relief programs offered during the
Depression-era. The log and mortared stone cabin was also listed for its
architecture as a rare and exemplary expression of “rugged” Rustic
style architecture developed by the Forest Service during the 1930s. The
Upper Sandy Guard Station Cabin is one of only nine cabins listed in the
National Register in Oregon.

Designed by architect Hans Hanselman and constructed in 1911, the
4-story Hotel Alma, 1201 SW Stark St., was listed for its important
association with the real estate boom following the 1905 Lewis and Clark
Exposition in Portland that came to redefine downtown. Classified as a
business-class hotel, buildings such as the Hotel Alma collectively
added roughly 900,000 square feet of real estate during the building
boom. The Hotel Alma is one of more than 90 historic buildings in
downtown Portland built between 1915 and 1931 and identified as eligible
for listing in the National Register in a recent study. The Hotel Alma
joins 63 other hotels listed in the National 
Register in Oregon. 

More information about the National Register and recent Oregon listings
is online at http://www.oregonheritage.org/OPRD/HCD/NATREG/index.shtml 


Do you consider yourself an expert on a significant Oregon architect? 
Perhaps you know the story behind the construction of a local landmark?
Or maybe you have a long list of favorite architects and buildings you
would like to learn more about. If so, The Oregon Encyclopedia would
like to hear from you. The Encyclopedia Project and the Architectural
Heritage Center are co-sponsoring and hosting a free public meeting to
discuss the encyclopedia project, to locate potential authors, and to
possible topics to include in this online encyclopedia of Oregon
history and culture.

The meeting will take place from 10 a.m.-noon Oct. 10 at the
Architectural Heritage Center, 701 SE Grand Ave., Portland.  Portland
State University and the Oregon Historical Society  are the
institutional partners for The Oregon Encyclopedia. The project is also
supported by the Oregon Heritage Commission, the Oregon Cultural Trust,
The Oregon Council of Teachers of English, the Oregon University System,
Willamette University, and private donors. For more information, visit 

www.oregonencyclopedia.org or contact Tania Hyatt-Evenson at
503-725-3990 or pdx05508 at pdx.edu 


Whether it is footage of grandma blowing out candles at her 80th
birthday party or a cops-and-robbers movie made by grade-school kids,
the Home Movie Day in Portland is an opportunity to share, preserve and
celebrate old films. Screenings and education will take place from
noon-5 p.m. Oct. 18 at the UO Portland's White Stag Block, 70 NW Couch

People may bring their 8 mm and 16 mm home movies for inspection and
potential exhibition. Local film experts, along with archivists from the
University of Oregon Libraries, will assess the physical condition of
the film before projecting movies for viewing. They will also offer
advice on how to best preserve and protect
these film formats from damage.

"As technology changed, these old films were hidden away in closets and
we are losing access to a glimpse into history," said James Fox, head of
the UO Special Collections and University Archives. "Some are
transferring these movies into different formats, such a DVD or VHS, but
the vibrant colors and original charm are lost in the process. This
event allows old movies to be shown in their best light."

Sponsored by the UO Libraries' Special Collections and University
Archives, Home Movie Day is an international event intended to help the
public learn about, enjoy and rescue films now considered obsolete.
Admission to the event is free. For more information, contact Fox at
541-346-1904 or jdfox at uoregon.edu 


R. Gregory Nokes, author of the recently published "Massacred for Gold:
The Chinese in Hells Canyon" will make several speaking appearances
during the next few months.  The book, published by the Oregon State
University Press, reports new information about the massacre of more
than 30 Chinese gold miners in Hells Canyon. 

The readings and signings will take place at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 7 at the
Waucoma Bookstore, Hood River; at noon Oct. 11 at Wordstock in the
Oregon Convention Center; at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 23 at Powell's on Burnside
in Portland; at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 27 at Paulina Springs Books in Redmond;
at 5 p.m. Nov. 28 at Sunriver Books and Music in Sunvirver; and at the
Oregon Historical Society on Dec. 6.

For more information, contact OSU Press, 121 The Valley Library,
Corvallis OR 97331, or micki.reaman at oregonstate.edu or visit the OSU
Press website at


To celebrate Oregon Archives Month and National Archives Month, the
Collins Gallery in the Multnomah County Central Library is exhibiting a
selection of primary sources on the origins of Multnomah County Library.
Using the combined resources of the Multnomah County Archives, the John
Wilson Special Collections and Multnomah County Library, this exhibition
features photographs, documents, plans and other materials that describe
the beginnings and early history of what is now known as Multnomah
County Library, which first opened in 1864. The physical features of the
library's numerous buildings, including Central Library (which opened in
1913) and the branches, and the library's administrative history will be
the major focus of this unique exhibition.

The exhibition co-curators Jim Carmin and Terry Baxter.

The exhibit is open daily in the third floor Collins Gallery of the
Central Library, 801 SW 10th Ave. For more information, contact Carmin
at 503.988.6287.
Oregon Heritage News is a service of the Oregon Heritage Commission,
which can be contacted at heritage.info at state.or.us 

More information about the Heritage mailing list