[Heritage] Oregon Heritage News 2010-06-29

Heritage Info heritage.info at state.or.us
Tue Jun 29 11:03:15 PDT 2010

Oregon Heritage News 2010-06-29

In this issue:
1.	Oregon Arts Commission and Cultural Trust Seek Writer
2.	High Desert Museum Opens Exhibits
3.	Sternwheeler Historic Cruise
4.             Archaeology Film Series Seeks Venues

OREGON ARTS COMMISSION & CULTURAL TRUST SEEK WRITER
The Oregon Arts Commission and Oregon Cultural Trust are seeking the qualifications of writers for a variety of projects:  the development of feature stories for the Creative Oregon section of the Commission's website, success stories stemming from funded grant projects, profiles of Creative Vitality Index examples and many more. Review the full RFQ at http://www.oregon4biz.com/Contact-us/Contracting-Opportunities/  Qualifications must be received by 3 pm, Wednesday, June 30, 2010.  Late proposals will not be accepted for any reason. Do not wait until the last minute to send the required files by email.

HIGH DESERT MUSEUM OPENS EXHIBITS
Historic Ranger Station Opens July 1
Visit our restored, historic High Desert Ranger Station. U.S. Forest Service retirees called "Old Smokeys" will discuss wildfire prevention and the roles of the U.S. Forest Service and the National Forest System in the West. 10am - 3pm
Pioneer Quilts Exhibit Opens July 3
Patterns from the Past: Pioneer Quilts, an exhibit of quilts from the Western frontier, opens July 3 at the High Desert Museum near Bend. One of the highlights of the collection is a double Irish chain piecework quilt made by one of Oregon's first woman pioneers, Eliza Spalding. In 1836, she traveled the Oregon Trail by wagon train with her husband Henry Spalding, a missionary. "This Museum is the only place that does an annual exhibit of these lovely, regional, historic quilts," said Vice President of Programs Dana Whitelaw. About a dozen quilts will be in the exhibit, including some on loan from the Baker Heritage Museum of Baker City, and the Idaho State Historical
Society in Boise, through August 1. High Desert Museum, 59800 S. Hwy. 97, Bend, Ore. 97702
www.highdesertmuseum.org

STERNWHEELER HISTORIC CRUISE
July 4th - Dinner Cruise - 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. Featuring Fireworks
14 mile, three-hour round trip on the Willamette River, beginning in historic Oregon City to Milwaukie where fireworks displays of multiple communities will be seen. On board guest speakers will provide an understanding of river commerce and conditions and share information on the history of fireworks. Contact Capt. Paul H. Simonis at the
Sternwheeler Rose Office - 503-388-0343.

ARCHAEOLOGY FILM SERIES SEEKS VENUES
The Archaeology Legacy Institute is soliciting venues for the  ArchaeologyFest Film Series. Each year the Archaeology Legacy Institute puts together this traveling mini-Festival incorporating the best films of The Archaeology Channel International Film Festival which takes place each May in Eugene.  This is the only juried competition in the Western Hemisphere for films relating to archaeology and cultural heritage. Our traveling film series this season will be a group of about seven of the best films from TAC Festival 2010 as judged by our jury and our audience.  These are among the best films of their kind in the world. We begin the tour in August or September 2010 and end in February 2011.  At each venue we show each film once.  We are looking for venues distributed around the state.  Ideally, each venue will have its own interested community that is willing to help organize and promote the event.  The equipment setup does not need to be fancy, but we would need a screen and a digital projector. Contact Rick Pettigrew Archaeological Legacy Institute Rpettigrew at aol.com or 541-345-5538. http://www.archaeologychannel.org/content/TACfestival.shtml