[Heritage] Oregon Heritage News 2011-03-01
heritage.info at state.or.us
Tue Mar 1 09:05:49 PST 2011
In this issue:
1. McKenzie River Highway listed in National Register
2. Albany museum co-hosts workshop on women's work
3. Samplers to be exhibited at Benton County Museum
4. Hats to be displayed Saturday in Oregon City
5. Collections course to be offered on two weekends by UO
MCKENZIE RIVER HIGHWAY LISTED IN NATIONAL REGISTER
The McKenzie Highway, designated as State Highway 242, runs across the
Cascade Range from Lane to Deschutes County and is Oregon’s latest
entry in the National Register of Historic Places.
The road that would become the McKenzie Highway was first constructed
in 1862 as a wagon route across the middle Cascade Mountains to link the
Willamette Valley with the Bend area. Recognizing the importance of the
route, the Oregon Highway Commission identified the road as one of five
included in the first highway plan in 1914 and subsequently improved the
route in 1917. Increasing traffic led to the construction of a modern
highway from 1921-1924.
Built by the Forest Service and the US Bureau of Public Roads, the
McKenzie Highway was specifically designed to encourage tourism by
offering motorists sweeping views of forests and mountain and volcanic
vistas from McKenzie Pass as they traveled through National Forest
lands. Upon completion, the highway carried local traffic, as well as
tourists, and was known for scenery and recreational opportunities such
as hunting and fishing, hot-spring resorts, hotels, and campgrounds.
Seeking to further encourage tourism, the Civilian Conservation Corps
constructed the Dee Wright Observatory at the pass in 1935. Constructed
of volcanic rock, the building offers visitors breath-taking views of
the surrounding mountains and volcanic lava flows.
Oregon’s State Advisory Committee on Historic Preservation
recommended the highway’s nomination in December 2009. Almost 2,000
historic Oregon properties are now listed in the National Register,
which is maintained by the National Park Service under the authority of
the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966.
More information about the National Register and recent Oregon listings
are available at
ALBANY MUSEUM CO-HOSTS WORKSHOP ON WOMEN's WORK
In recognition of Women's History Month, the Albany Regional Museum
and American Association of University Women will present " 'Women's
Work' : Historical, literary and socioeconomic perspectives" from 10
a.m.-noon March 12 at the museum, 136 Lyon St. S. Reservations are
required and may be made by calling the Albany Regional Museum at
Initially, living history volunteers will briefly tell her story --
from Abigail Scott Duniway, a major figure in women's suffrage who owned
a millinery shop in downtown Albany, to Evelyn Burleson, an early Albany
aviator. The middle portion of event features five Reader's Theater
actors who will interpret such selections as "Passing," by Roger
Traweek, to "The Triangle Shirtwaist Fire."
Completing the morning will be AAUW public policy chair Edie Orner
talking a look at pay equity issues and participants taking an informal
quiz called "Test Your Fair Pay 'Cents.'"
For more information contact the museum at 541-967-7122, or visit
SAMPLERS TO BE EXHIBITED AT BENTON COUNTY MUSEUM
Benton County Museum presents "Samplers International: A world of
needlework", showcasing historical and contemporary samplers from United
States, Mexico, England, Scotland, France, and Scandinavia that were
stitched between 1747 and 2011.
"Samplers International" may be viewed from March 11- April 30. A
printed catalog will document the exhibition. Historic schoolgirl
samplers are from the collections of the museum, Bush House Museum in
Salem, Seaside Museum, and others.
Located six miles west of Corvallis on Highways 20/34, at 1101 Main
St., Philomath, the Benton County Historical Society operates the
museum. The museum is open 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday.
For more information, call (541) 929-6230 or visit
HATS TO BE DISPLAYED SATURDAY IN OREGON CITY
Hat expert LaRee Johnson who will make a free presentation on ladies'
headgear in history at 1 p.m. March 5 at the Museum of the Oregon
Territory, 211 Tumwater Drive, in Oregon City. She’ll also discuss how
to preserve and protect vintage hats. The museum will be open from 11
Also on March 5, "Hats Off!" an exhibit of nearly 100 hats from the
1700s to the 1970s" will open at the Stevens Crawford House, 603 Sixth
St., Oregon City. Mertie Crawford (1872-1968), daughter of the Stevens
Crawford House’s original owners, spent her life in the historic home
and collected hats and other relics of the past. The hats on display
are part of her collection.
The house museum is open noon to 4 p.m. Thursday - Saturday.
For more information, contact Lisa Christopher, 503-655-5574 or
info at clackamashistory.org,
COLLECTIONS COURSE TO BE OFFERED ON TWO WEEKENDS BY UO
The University of Oregon Arts & Administration Program is offering a
new 4-credit course this spring on the care of collections, taught by
Marie Labinis-Craft. Class meetings will be the weekends of April 23-24
and May 21-22.
If you are not a current UO student, but interested in this course,
please refer to the following website:
For more information, contact the UO's museum studies certificate
coordinator Phaedra Livingstone at (541) 346-2296
Oregon Heritage News is a service of the Oregon Heritage Commission,
which can be contacted at heritage.info at state.or.us
More information about the Heritage