[Heritage] Oregon Heritage News 2011-11-18
heritage.info at state.or.us
Fri Nov 18 07:57:57 PST 2011
In This Issue:
1. Events Set in Astoria, Newport and Portland
2. ACH Hosts Open House, Speaker Event
EVENTS SET IN ASTORIA, NEWPORT AND PORTLAND
Astoria: The Flavel House Museum will offer self-guided tours and
traditional tea and plum pudding from 1 – 4 p.m. daily, Dec. 17 – 23,
and Dec. 26 – 30 at the corner of 8th and Duane St. Completed in 1896
and designed by Carl W. Leick, the museum was once the home of Captain
George Flavel, a noted bar pilot on the Columbia River and prominent
businessman. Listed in the National Register in 1951, it features six
unique fireplace mantels and a tower that once offered the Captain a
360-degree view of Astoria and the Columbia River. For more information,
call (503) 325-2203, e-mail cchs at cumtux.org or visit www.cumtux.org .
Newport: Visitors to Yaquina Head will enjoy Victorian-era holiday
traditions from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Dec. 3 at the Yaquina Head
Interpretive Center, 750 NW Lighthouse Dr., Newport. Friends of Yaquina
Lights and the Bureau of Land Management will present an old fashioned
holiday celebration featuring costumed lighthouse keepers and their
families. Activities include ornaments and crafts, parlor games,
decorating the holiday tree with the lighthouse keepers, music and
caroling. For further information, call (541) 574-3100 or visit
Portland: In early December, the Oregon Rail Heritage Foundation will
offer Holiday Express excursions out of Oaks Park in SE Portland.
The National Register-listed Spokane, Portland and Seattle 700 steam
locomotive will pull the Express on Dec. 2, 3 and 4. Built in 1938, the
700 pulled the famous Empire Builder until 1947, and then pulled a
passenger train from Portland up the Columbia River Gorge to Spokane
until 1956. The locomotive retired in 1958 and sat on display at Oaks
Park in SE Portland until restored to operational capacity in 1990.
The Southern Pacific 4449 will pull the Express on Dec. 9, 10 and 11.
Built in 1941, the 4449 is the only remaining operable "streamlined"
steam locomotive of the Art Deco era. It pulled Southern Pacific
"Daylight" coaches from Los Angeles to San Francisco over the scenic
Coast Route and then on to Portland until 1955. Also retiring to Oaks
Park in 1958, 4449 saw new life when restored in 1974 to pull the 1976
Bicentennial Freedom Train throughout the United States.
For more information, visit www.orhf.org .
ACH HOSTS OPEN HOUSE, SPEAKER EVENT
The Archictecural Heritage Center will host an open-house event at the
A.E. Doyle-designed H. Russell Albee house from 2 – 4:30 p.m., Dec. 11
at 3360 SE Ankeny – just off East Burnside – Portland.
The event includes self guided tours of the home and a presentation on
A. E. Doyle by Philip Niles, historian and author of “Beauty of the
City: A.E. Doyle, Portland's Architect”. Built in 1912, the Albee house
is one of southeast Portland's most significant historic homes. Located
adjacent to Laurelhurst Park, this Georgian mansion retains many
original details, including fine woodwork, and stained glass by the
Historian Janice Dilg, project director for Century of Action: Oregon
Women Vote, 1912-2012, will also talk about Mayor H. Russell Albee and
his role in shaping the Portland of the 1910s and beyond. Albee played
an influential role in progressive era politics and the development of
Portland's park system.
For more information, visit
Save the dates for the 2012 Oregon Heritage Conference: April 26 -28!
Oregon Heritage News is a service of the Oregon Heritage Commission.
Contact us by emailing heritage.info at state.or.us .
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Heritage