[Heritage] Oregon Heritage News 2011-10-28

Heritage Info heritage.info at state.or.us
Fri Oct 28 08:36:34 PDT 2011

In this issue:
1. Hulshof-Schmidt to be State Librarian
2. Compatible Infill Design Report Available
3. Alderson Internship Deadline Approaches

HULSHOF-SCHMIDT TO BE STATE LIBRARIAN

The Oregon State Library Board of Trustees has selected Robert
Hulshof-Schmidt, the current Program Manager of the State Library's
Government Research Services, to serve as Oregon's next State Librarian.
He has served with the State Library for seven years.

Hulshof-Schmidt will assume his duties on January 1st, 2012, succeeding
Jim Scheppke, who is retiring at the end of 2011 after twenty-five years
of service with the Oregon State Library, twenty as the State
Librarian.

"I am thrilled by this opportunity. I appreciate the trust that the
Oregon State Library Board, staff and the library community have placed
in me. These are exciting and challenging times for Oregon's libraries
and I look forward to leading this strong organization into the
future."

He holds a Master's Degree in Library Science from the University of
Washington and Bachelor of Arts in English from Willamette University.

The Oregon State Library provides quality information services to
Oregon state government; reading materials to blind and print-disabled
Oregonians; and leadership, grants, and other assistance to improve
library service for all Oregonians. For additional information, visit
http://library.state.or.us.

COMPATIBLE INFILL DESIGN REPORT AVAILABLE

After three workshops and a statewide survey, receipt of input from
nearly 200 individuals, including city planners, elected officials,
architects, property owners, developers, and community leaders, the
Heritage Preservation League of Oregon (HPLO) has arrived at a set of
principles for compatible infill design. The principles are applicable
in communities seeking to create or update their current guidelines and
regulations, and have the potential to form a basis for financial
incentives to spur on the revitalization of Oregon's historic
districts.

HPLO has published the principles in a special report, “Compatible
Infill Design: Principals for New Construction in Oregon’s Historic
Districts”, which is available on its website in PDF format.

Visit
http://www.historicpreservationleague.org/FieldNotes/HPLOSpecialReport-CompatibleInfillDevel.pdfto
read or download the report.

ALDERSON INTERNSHIP DEADLINE APPROACHES

AASLH offers its smaller institutional members the opportunity to apply
for the Alderson Grant Internship Program. The program recognizes the
demand for students to gain "real world" experience and for need for
museums to obtain qualified interns for their institutions.

Institution applications must reach AASLH by 5 p.m., Dec. 9. For
further information, visit www.aaslh.org/alderson.htm.