[Heritage] Oregon Heritage News 2012-02-07

Heritage Info heritage.info at state.or.us
Tue Feb 7 08:06:16 PST 2012

In This Issue:
1. Community Planning Grant Pre-Applications Available
2. 2012 Preservation Month Theme Set
3. Save the Dates for National Preservation Conference
4. Small Museum Toolkit Now Available
5. Marketing / Public Relations Manager Sought in Aurora

COMMUNITY PLANNING GRANT PRE-APPLICATIONS AVAILABLE

The Oregon Transportation and Growth Management Program provides local
governments with funding for planning projects that lead to more
livable, economically vital, transportation-efficient, sustainable,
pedestrian-friendly communities. These projects could include historic
sites and buildings.

For more information about these grants, visit
www.oregon.gov/LCD/TGM/grants.html .

2012 PRESERVATION MONTH THEME SET

Preservation Month 2012 is just around the corner, and this year the
theme is "Discover America’s Hidden Gems." The National Trust for
Historic Preservation has celebrated May as National Preservation Month
since 2005, encouraging communities large and small to celebrate their
rich, diverse heritage, and draw more Americans into the growing
national preservation movement. Customize the theme for your city or
region by replacing “America’s” with your locality.

Visit www.preservationnation.org/take-action/preservation-month  for
more details.

SAVE THE DATES FOR NATIONAL PRESERVATION CONFERENCE

Save the dates of Oct. 31 – Nov. 3 for the National Trust for Historic
Preservation’s 2012 National Conference in Spokane. This year’s theme
will be “Beyond Boundaries” with the idea of discovering and exploring
preservation’s role our cities, towns and rural communities. Talk with
others about what confines us in our work and our mission, and how we
can expand the role of preservation in revitalizing cities, combating
sprawl, creating jobs, saving energy, preserving landscapes and building
community. How can we better partner and work with traditional and new
partners to increase preservation’s relevance in modern communities? How
do we become better advocates for the movement in our hometowns?

Bridge chasms, break tradition, and explore what going beyond
boundaries can do to move preservation deeper into the consciousness of
Americans of all ages, backgrounds, and outlooks. For further
information, stay tuned to www.PreservationNation.org/conference and
www.historicspokane.org/nthp .

SMALL MUSEUM TOOLKIT NOW AVAILABLE

People working as staff for small museums sometimes find themselves
facing issues outside of their expertise or training. The Small Museum
Toolkit, a quick reference that makes the process of becoming a
sustainable, valued institution less overwhelming, is now available. The
Toolkit consists of a collection of six books that serve as a launching
point for small museum staff to pursue best practices and meet museum
standards.  These books address governance, financial management, human
resources, audience relations, interpretation, and stewardship for small
museums and historic sites.  Written by 34 experienced museum
professionals, the Toolkit, helps define questions staff should ask,
provides the tools to achieve their goals, and guides them where to go
for help.  To learn more, visit www.altamirapress.com (
http://www.altamirapress.com/ ) .

MARKETING / PR MANAGER SOUGHT IN AURORA

The Aurora Colony Historical Society is seeking a person with marketing
and public relations experience. This position is primarily responsible
for marketing tours, events, programs, and facilities to the general
public and will serve as a liaison to museum visitors. Experience and
knowledge of historical museums and small towns desired. The successful
candidate will possess excellent computer skills with Microsoft Office
and desktop publishing software. This is a part-time position of 25-30
hours per week. For a complete job description email
info at auroracolony.org .

Save the dates for the 2012 Oregon Heritage Conference: April 26 - 28!

Oregon Heritage News is a service of the Oregon Heritage Commission.
Contact us by emailing heritage.info at state.or.us .