[Heritage] Oregon Heritage News 2012-06-12

Heritage Info heritage.info at state.or.us
Tue Jun 12 09:05:41 PDT 2012

In this Issue:
1. “History: Made by You” Feature on Oregon Exchange
2. Living History Featured at Collier Memorial State Park
3. OHS Set to Open Exhibit on Modern Oregon History

“History: Made by You” Feature on Oregon Exchange

One of the greatest challenges facing museums today is how to highlight
the relevance of history while broadening and diversifying our
audiences. How do we show our visitors that history is a continuum and
connect the past to present realities and social issues today? How do we
incorporate our visitors’ voices into the museum and make their stories
heard?

Visit
http://oregonheritage.wordpress.com/2012/06/11/history-made-by-you to
read more – or share, collaborate, celebrate your successes – on the
Oregon Heritage Exchange blog.

LIVING HISTORY FEATURED AT COLLIER MEMORIAL STATE PARK

Logging history comes to life from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m., June 17 at during
Collier Living History Day at Collier Memorial State Park, on US 97, 30
miles north of Klamath Falls.

Visitors will have an opportunity to reminisce with old-timers about
the machines, lifestyles, and their adventures. Belching stream,
grinding gears, the roar of antique engines, and the chinking of horse's
harnesses will fill the air. Witness live steam engines, operating
old-time shingle mill, antique Caterpillar tractors and an antique
sawmill. Watch horse logging, blacksmith, the creation of chainsaw
sculptures, spinning and weaving demonstrations. Enjoy a hay ride; tour
the museum; view antique engines and visit with docents in period
clothing.

Visit www.oregonstateparks.org/park_228.php?eventid=4056&md=event or
contact Lisa Dykstra at (541) 783-2471 for more information.

OHS SET TO OPEN EXHIBIT ON MODERN OREGON HISTORY

The Oregon Historical Society (OHS) will open a new ‘high-tech’ exhibit
at 10 a.m., June 16 at the Oregon History Museum, 1200 SW Park Avenue in
downtown Portland. “Oregon Voices: Change and Challenge in Modern Oregon
History” tells the state’s story through the eyes and stories of the
people who’ve lived it. Exhibit-related activities are scheduled for 11
a.m. – 3 p.m., including an exploration of the exhibit’s interactive
areas with theatre instructor Morgan Cox, a talk by Bill Robbins titled
“Reflections on Modern Oregon.”

Interactive touch screen displays give visitors the chance to dive into
a diverse range of subjects, from urban and rural development to
Oregon’s food, drink, and natural resources. The exhibit features
films, photographs, sound recordings, and digital documents to chronicle
the state’s history from 1950 forward. Visitors can add their voice to
the exhibit through polling on topical questions and by leaving comments
about their own personal history and opinions. Oregon Voices also
features a children’s activity area, including a children’s theater
where kids can dress up and read scripts to learn about Oregon’s recent
history.

“Perhaps no period of time has brought more change and challenge to our
state than the past sixty years,” say OHS Executive Director Kerry
Tymchuk. “With the opening of the educating, enlightening, and
entertaining Oregon Voices exhibit, Oregonians of all ages can learn
about and learn from the history of this remarkable time, gaining a
better understanding of our present and our future in the process.”

For further information and a list of current exhibits, visit
www.ohs.org ( http://www.ohs.org/ ) .

Oregon Heritage, part of the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department,
provides technical support and services to people and organizations
documenting, preserving, interpreting and sharing Oregon's heritage.
Keep up with the latest issues and trends by following our blog at
oregonheritage.wordpress.com.

Oregon Heritage News is a service of the Oregon Heritage Commission.
Contact us by emailing heritage.info at state.or.us .