[Heritage] Oregon Heritage News 2013-12-12

Heritage Info heritage.info at state.or.us
Thu Dec 12 08:14:40 PST 2013

In this Issue:
1. Historic Landscapes on Exchange
2. Remembering Thomas Vaughn
3. 2014 Archaeology Basic Training sessions set for January - March
4. Dec. 13 deadline approaching for OMA conference proposals
5. Champoeg seeks education coordinator

HISTORIC LANDSCAPES ON EXCHANGE

Historic and cultural landscapes, an important part of our historic
legacy, do not always get the attention they deserve. The National
Register lists over eighty historic parks, plazas and gardens in Oregon
associated with historic sites. Learn about SHPO’s recent milestones in
its effort to build recognition and support for historic and cultural
landscapes on Heritage Exchange (
http://oregonheritage.wordpress.com/2013/12/11/were-in-the-landscape-business/
).

REMEMBERING THOMAS VAUGHN

Thomas Vaughan, one of the state's most influential cultural leaders,
passed away at the age of 89 on December 6. Many will remember him for
his leadership of the Oregon Historical Society (OHS) from 1975 to 1987.
He brought it from the "state's attic to a modern research library,
museum, publisher, and statewide educational institution, according to
Chet Orloff, former OHS executive director.

“Enlarging on historians' natural role as guides for their communities,
Tom went on to help launch and build the many Oregon agencies that
preserve our buildings, conserve our land, enrich our cultural lives,
promulgate our literature, sustain our tourism industry, and strengthen
our sense of place as Oregonians,” Orloff added.

Vaughan also served as a leader in the arts, architecture, parks,
historic preservation, education, publishing, and more. Current OHS
executive director Kerry Tymchuk commented, “His vision, his eloquence
and his remarkable fundraising ability combined to make the Oregon
Historical Society one of our state's premiere institutions.”

2014 ARCHAEOLOGY BASIC TRAINING SESSIONS SET FOR JANUARY - MARCH

Are you looking to learn more about archaeology basics, or do you need
a refresher on the history of the Pacific Northwest? The Oregon
Archaeological Society (OAS) will offer its successful OAS Basic
Training (also known as Archaeology for the Curious) beginning on Jan.
25and followed by six sessions running on Saturdays through March 8 at
the Portland Community College, Rock Creek Campus.

Co-sponsored by Portland Community College and the Washington County
Museum, the program is a great way to network with other archaeology
lovers and to learn how to get involved in the field.  Experienced
regional professionals from the National Forest Service, BLM, and the
University of Oregon will conduct the training. Topics for the first two
sessions include archaeology basics as well as information on artifacts,
laws and ethics, Northwest archaeology and rock art, site stewardship
and volunteering. The remaining four sessions will cover field
excavation and laboratory methods, site mapping, cataloging and compass
reading.

Visit oregonarchaeological.org/training for further program
information. To register for the sessions, email
oas.basictraining at gmail.com or call Steve Satterthwaite at (503)
824-2264.

DEC. 13 DEADLINE APPROACHING FOR OMA CONFERENCE PROPOSALS

There is still time to submit a proposal for the annual OMA conference,
set to take place April 6 – 8, 2014 at the Portland Art Museum in
Portland. Presenters will discuss projects and programs from around the
state that focus on new skills, techniques and innovative ideas for
museums of the future with the theme, “Spring Forward: Inspiring Museums
for New Generations”. The deadline for proposal submissions is Dec. 13.
To apply, visit the Oregon Museums Association (
http://www.oregonmuseums.org/Resources/Documents/RFP_form_2014.pdf )
online, fill out the PDF proposal form (
http://www.oregonmuseums.org/Resources/Documents/RFP_form_2014.pdf ) and
email ( mailto:oregonmuseums at gmail.com ) it to OMA, or send it by US
Mail to OMA, PO Box 40013, Portland, OR 97240.

CHAMPOEG SEEKS EDUCATION COORDINATOR

The Friends of Champoeg are seeking a part-time education coordinator
to manage the award-winning Champoeg Promise Education Program for
grades 1 through 8.  The application deadline is Dec. 20. For a complete
job description and application instructions, visit www.champoeg.org.

--------------

Celebrate, Recreate, Invigorate at the Hub of Heritage and Recreation!
Mark your calendar for the Oregon Heritage Conference in Albany, April
23-25, 2014. Registration opens in early 2014.

Oregon Heritage, part of the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department,
provides technical support and services to people and organizations
documenting, preserving, interpreting and sharing Oregon's heritage.
Keep up with the latest heritage issues and trends at Oregon Heritage
Exchange ( http://oregonheritage.wordpress.com/ ) and follow us on
Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/OregonHeritage ).

Oregon Heritage News is a service of the Oregon Heritage Commission. Do
you have an issue or item you would like to share? Email us (
mailto:heritage.info at state.or.us ).