[Heritage] Oregon Heritage News 2016-10-28

INFO Heritage * OPRD Heritage.Info at oregon.gov
Fri Oct 28 13:08:09 PDT 2016

1. Arts and culture organization evaluation forum Nov 4
2. Oregon Folklife Network seeks folk artists in Portland area
3. OHS's History Hub opens Nov 1

ARTS AND CULTURAL ORGANIZATION EVALUATION FORUM NOV 4

Interested in how arts & culture organizations are making evaluation meaningful and useful for their work? How arts & culture organizations are engaging in creative program evaluations?  This forum utilizes discussion around current arts evaluation practices to deepen our collective knowledge and skills.

Oregon arts & culture evaluation nerds Bill Flood, Kelly Jarvis, Kim Leonard, Chari Smith and Deb Vaughn will facilitate discussion about these and similar questions, using recent and ongoing Oregon program evaluations as examples. Attendees will have opportunity to ask questions about the example projects, as well as share their own experience with evaluation in arts & culture organizations.

This free brown-bag event is hosted by the University of Oregon Arts and Administration Program, and will take place at the White Stag building in downtown Portland on November 4, from noon to 1:30pm. Please register at the following link to ensure we have enough space for everyone: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1KLQdH5atMCWJm20tRdsz75WfUXUmFhRjh4P7uAcd2bc/viewform?edit_requested=true

OREGON FOLKLIFE NETWORK SEEKS ARTISTS IN PORTLAND AREA

National Endowment for the Arts Chairman Jane Chu has approved more than $82 million to fund local arts projects and partnerships in the NEA's second major funding announcement for fiscal year 2016.  Included in this announcement is an Art Works award of $55,000 to the Oregon Folklife Network to document the diverse cultural traditions of the Portland Metro counties of Washington, Multnomah, Yamhill, Columbia, and Clackamas.

The Art Works category supports the creation of work and presentation of both new and existing work, lifelong learning in the arts, and public engagement with the arts through 13 arts disciplines or fields.

As Oregon's Folk & Traditional Arts Program, the OFN wants to find excellent folk artists and culture keepers. We are looking for master artists to serve as mentors for the Traditional Arts Apprenticeship Program. OFN will include the best of those documented in our Roster, an online curated resource for local festivals, parks, school, and library programs looking for performers, demonstrators, and speakers.

OFN Folklorists Douglas Manger, Nancy Nusz, and Makaela Kroin will be in the Portland Metro during November 2016 to identify and document culture keepers.

OFN will be working with a range of cultural partners such as World Pulse, the Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization (especially IRCO's Asian Family Center and Africa House), Lan Su Chinese Gardens, Milagro Theatre, the Regional Arts and Culture Council, and our operational partners (Oregon Historical Society, Oregon Arts Commission, Oregon Cultural Trust). We'll be creating public programs and working with 10 community scholars from diverse communities to provide training in self-documentation.

We are eager for contact information for traditional musicians, dancers, quilters, embroiderers, storytellers, fly-tiers, cooks, artisans, and more from the Portland Metro's residents. We very much want to hear from the range of Portland's communities: Native American, African American, European (English, German, Greek, Irish, Jewish, Norwegian, Scottish), Africans (from Sudan, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia, Liberia, Chad, Togo), Asian and Pacific Islander (Burmese, Chinese, Filipino, Hawai'ian, Japanese, Korean, Khmer, Lao, Hmong, Mien, Thai, Vietnamese), Latino (Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, Salvadoran, Nicaraguan, Columbia), and Middle Eastern (Iraqi, Israeli, Lebanese, Palestinian, Persian, Turkish).

OFN preserves fieldwork documentation in the UO Folklife archives for research and education. We partner with local and state organizations to refer tradition bearers and folk artists for programs in parks, arts organizations, libraries, or festivals.

To provide OFN with contact information for these traditions, please contact Riki Saltzman, riki at uoregon.edu<mailto:riki at uoregon.edu> , or Emily West Afanador, eafanado at uoregon.edu<mailto:eafanado at uoregon.edu>, or phone 541-346-3820.

To join the Twitter conversation about this announcement, please use #NEASpring2016 and #Oregonfolk. For more information on projects included in the NEA grant announcement, go to arts.gov. Follow OFN on Twitter @OregonFolklife and follow us on Facebook at Oregon Folklife Network.

OHS'S HISTORY HUB OPENS NOV 1

The Oregon Historical Society is excited to unveil History Hub<https://t.e2ma.net/click/brybj/jtxycc/ngu2wd>, a new permanent exhibition where youth, students, and families can explore the topic of diversity through fun, hands-on interactives, objects, and pictures. Developed in partnership with an advisory committee of students, teachers, cultural organizations, and museums, History Hub tells the stories of people who live in Oregon, today and in the past. The content of History Hub spans grades K-12 with a focus on 4th - 8th grades.

With puzzles, touch screen activities, and board games, History Hub asks students to consider questions like "Who is an Oregonian?," "How has discrimination and segregation affected people who live in Oregon?," and "How can you make Oregon a great place for everyone?" While the topic of diversity is central to History Hub, the content will change every three years and OHS will partner with cultural organizations and museums across Oregon to share their stories in History Hub. From 2016 to 2019 our partners for History Hub are the Oregon Black Pioneers<https://t.e2ma.net/click/brybj/jtxycc/38u2wd>, Portland Public Schools Indian Education Program<https://t.e2ma.net/click/brybj/jtxycc/j1v2wd>, and the Southern Oregon Historical Society<https://t.e2ma.net/click/brybj/jtxycc/ztw2wd>.

There will be a public opening celebration on Nov. 6, 12pm-4pm. Visit www.ohs.org<http://www.ohs.org> for more information.

Share your photos of Oregon's heritage on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter using #oregonheritage.

Oregon Heritage News is a service of Oregon Heritage, a division of the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. The news editor can be contacted at heritage.info at oregon.gov<mailto:heritage.info at oregon.gov>