[Heritage] Oregon Heritage News 2017-12-08
INFO Heritage * OPRD
Heritage.Info at oregon.gov
Fri Dec 8 16:02:23 PST 2017
In this issue:
1. OPRD accepting comments on new rule for abandoned cemeteries
2. Oregon Heritage Exchange blog features new Oregon Women Veterans Memorial sculpture
3. IMLS professional development for museums grant deadline March 1
4. Dos and don'ts for year-end appeals
5. Oregon Cultural Trust Tax Credit
6. New Oregon Stewardship Award open for nominations
7. SAHMDR call for papers and grants applications
OPRD ACCEPTING COMMENTS ON NEW RULE FOR ABANDONED CEMETERIES
Oregon Parks and Recreation Department (OPRD) is accepting comments on a proposed rule change that would establish a permit to restore, maintain or preserve an abandoned cemetery. The proposed rules are a result of House Bill 2516, passed during the 2017 session. The deadline for public comment on the amendments is Jan. 15, 2018.
The proposed rules, developed in consultation with the Oregon Commission on Historic Cemeteries, outline the process for entities to apply for permits and permit requirements. OPRD currently offers a grant program for protection, restoration and education of historic cemeteries. Information about the grant program is available at http://www.oregon.gov/oprd/HCD/FINASST/Pages/grants.aspx#Historic_Cemeteries_Grant_Program
The full text of the amendments to Oregon Administrative Rule 736-054-0100 to 736-054-0150 is available online at http://www.oregon.gov/oprd/RULES/pages/index.aspx. Comments can be made directly on this webpage or in writing to Oregon Parks and Recreation Department, Attn.: Katie Gauthier, 725 Summer St NE, Suite C, Salem OR 97301; or through e-mail to OPRD.publiccomment at oregon.gov<mailto:OPRD.publiccomment at oregon.gov>. They will be accepted until 5 p.m. Jan. 15, 2018.
Anyone wishing to comment in person may attend a public hearing at 6 p.m. Jan. 9 in Salem's North Mall Office Building, 725 Summer Street NE, Room 124A.
After reviewing public comments, agency staff plan to present a final recommended rule for consideration by the Oregon State Parks and Recreation Commission at its February 2018 business meeting.
OREGON HERITAGE EXCHANGE BLOG FEATURES NEW OREGON WOMEN VETERALS MEMORIAL SCULPTURE
This past Veterans Memorial weekend a new sculpture was unveiled dedicated to women in the military, one of only a handful of such memorials in the entire nation. Learn more about this unique memorial, including the process behind choosing the design of the memorial, by visiting the newest post on the Oregon Heritage Exchange Blog: https://oregonheritage.wordpress.com/2017/12/05/the-lionesses-a-tribute-to-women-in-military-in-springfield-oregon/.
IMLS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT FOR MUSEUMS GRANT DEADLINE MARCH 1
The Institute of Museum and Library Services is offering professional development grants designed to help museums respond to the evolving needs of the museum profession and changes in their communities. The program, now in its second year, is a special initiative of the Museums for America grant program, which strengthens the ability of individual museums to better serve their communities.
Eligible entities for Museums Empowered: Professional Development Opportunities for Museum Staff<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001REftIF06D9tsPMNw3LgJW5G2TRXzDtX8pOy3acEFvnpp69cGYHT6o_RJlo9Zf8WqvhokAT2dCLyJ4yN-_qxFTUxHqU2U_3mr8afZefAjuQOkstUBb8MkaSQT22MF0jvmJ7I_bba0NnykeDwm1rJk3E5QNJhHTDJnMWym5atARZ2lxfrGm0ZsrG0rOCQFAAkza4mTwfA7HDx89aaqzvfL7WYsxYHf4j2M1Ux5-BWaQspmMRlgrTsdWkyZlwwLExuGAQ0wNc2r44IPoI6xTgs6obEPVM8pKw6I&c=LfmwzpjxUfrd3uMyZTiFMo8iPmYHxviTlMG1TaTjuUQS5tipn0ZbDg==&ch=WWfwTgjkyV2JuhKFhXqDdD9LtnLWqaF2onv16sewjV-EUEBRyKGBcA==> are U.S. museums of all sizes and disciplines. Award amounts will either be $5,000-$25,000 with no cost share permitted or $25,001-$250,000 with at least 1:1 cost share. The application deadline is March 1, 2017. See the application guidelines<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001REftIF06D9tsPMNw3LgJW5G2TRXzDtX8pOy3acEFvnpp69cGYHT6o_RJlo9Zf8WqEQ7Yzqh20lym7PxseE1h5VugGilkSPSZyIA4gCvkrU8yCFvTya1LewgS8YHMK7OoYatBpNYVKAtghE9k68yRDUqlTmcVAPSQ76btDdZ2c-9AbLwRTFYH23mkLfPr5QLk7I9yJBNzeTQ2DJjfUIIbYa3fZEIfCKj1zodeDbEAN54=&c=LfmwzpjxUfrd3uMyZTiFMo8iPmYHxviTlMG1TaTjuUQS5tipn0ZbDg==&ch=WWfwTgjkyV2JuhKFhXqDdD9LtnLWqaF2onv16sewjV-EUEBRyKGBcA==> (PDF, 415KB) on the IMLS website for details.
This special initiative will support and empower museum staff to generate systemic change within their museum through professional development activities that cross-cut various departments. It provides support for professional development in four project categories:
* Digital Technology: for museum staff to fully explore, understand, and optimize the use of digital technology in museums.
* Diversity and Inclusion: for museum staff to develop cultural competency and support museum relevancy in their communities.
* Evaluation: to expand museum staff's capacity to evaluate programs, practices, and products and determine measurable outcomes.
* Organizational Management: for museum staff to learn best practices in organizational management, strategic thinking, innovation and managing change.
Potential applicants are invited to view three webinars before applying. Two pre-recorded webinars are available for viewing on the IMLS website:
* FY18 Choosing a Funding Opportunity<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001REftIF06D9tsPMNw3LgJW5G2TRXzDtX8pOy3acEFvnpp69cGYHT6o_RJlo9Zf8WqcMFrLMKFYwcjm5PqytJhP7H9wS4y0H7ZS6GF9iPHu1idmJk-42MgtUrrhZmgUue_OFc2-QY_taQoUWm_A7pyjix5xJ4vWXGcOaLPGm-_7AeACF-JLcRZQnxGkrtRN081g5F1Fyrkfn_piL_03AOXxwA_ndZp3a0LQaDMyh5sPrkY8BOtzLP4ESRKBCvTG2se3b7NHPH0vRo=&c=LfmwzpjxUfrd3uMyZTiFMo8iPmYHxviTlMG1TaTjuUQS5tipn0ZbDg==&ch=WWfwTgjkyV2JuhKFhXqDdD9LtnLWqaF2onv16sewjV-EUEBRyKGBcA==>: We recommend that you view this presentation before participating in a program-specific webinar.
* FY18 IMLS Forms<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001REftIF06D9tsPMNw3LgJW5G2TRXzDtX8pOy3acEFvnpp69cGYHT6o_RJlo9Zf8Wq9PRWa1FMj2VYNfsG32GZIKxN8WjTkOc1h6WJLMKC6AHnLb8CWgM1zbIWiaqVdn7XfyxY1M35KWyn0zoLjfQBLcJ5BBG00lvd0C23GNEGZqA7kgFYGZWFw7yE29Dqsxi1dMMIH4xQ-MlGkG9Mw8GanFKEknPKWJncOlEQUJ1LiJYdEaEBL81EIUxYFUUPG6M_&c=LfmwzpjxUfrd3uMyZTiFMo8iPmYHxviTlMG1TaTjuUQS5tipn0ZbDg==&ch=WWfwTgjkyV2JuhKFhXqDdD9LtnLWqaF2onv16sewjV-EUEBRyKGBcA==>: This webinar provides detailed tips on completing required forms for all grant programs.
A live webinar will provide applicants more information about the FY 18 Museums Empowered program:
* FY18 Museums Empowered<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001REftIF06D9tsPMNw3LgJW5G2TRXzDtX8pOy3acEFvnpp69cGYHT6o_RJlo9Zf8WqsO7URWoME3TlSkxo7axIYtVsTeq9bM8LvvxkJXmrG-ZOPyUkWRUxaUZoDXiMf10y0moy1opLyBMKSOxAkqWiH8M3ddN-Ztdh0D9aRjeU5FKsmta0vY6G2kHBJYVYI9QE9-4ldGPEpHULJN7qVA0zDokmitH-n9qURMXvRinvcaIThpPTjGUbgag5PMaWzoRtnU1rGPA1u9w=&c=LfmwzpjxUfrd3uMyZTiFMo8iPmYHxviTlMG1TaTjuUQS5tipn0ZbDg==&ch=WWfwTgjkyV2JuhKFhXqDdD9LtnLWqaF2onv16sewjV-EUEBRyKGBcA==>, Tuesday, January 9, 2018 2017, 2 PM - 3 PM EST
Applicants may also reach out to the IMLS staff members listed on the grant program page<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001REftIF06D9tsPMNw3LgJW5G2TRXzDtX8pOy3acEFvnpp69cGYHT6o_RJlo9Zf8WqvhokAT2dCLyJ4yN-_qxFTUxHqU2U_3mr8afZefAjuQOkstUBb8MkaSQT22MF0jvmJ7I_bba0NnykeDwm1rJk3E5QNJhHTDJnMWym5atARZ2lxfrGm0ZsrG0rOCQFAAkza4mTwfA7HDx89aaqzvfL7WYsxYHf4j2M1Ux5-BWaQspmMRlgrTsdWkyZlwwLExuGAQ0wNc2r44IPoI6xTgs6obEPVM8pKw6I&c=LfmwzpjxUfrd3uMyZTiFMo8iPmYHxviTlMG1TaTjuUQS5tipn0ZbDg==&ch=WWfwTgjkyV2JuhKFhXqDdD9LtnLWqaF2onv16sewjV-EUEBRyKGBcA==> to discuss general issues relating to this special initiative.
DOS AND DON'TS FOR YEAR-END APPEALS
It's that time of year that many of your organizations are appealing to members and donors for last minute donations before the tax year ends. This article provides some tips for what may help or hinder that process.
OREGON CULTURAL TRUST TAX CREDIT
Just a reminder that those donating to a qualifying nonprofit and then give a matching donation to the Oregon Cultural Trust by Dec. 31 will qualify for the Cultural Trust tax credit. There are three steps:
1. Total your donations to culture
2. Give a matching amount to the Cultural Trust
3. Claim cultural tax credit on your state taxes
If you are unsure if you donated to a qualifying nonprofit or if the organization you work for is a qualifying nonprofit, visit here<http://culturaltrust.org/get-involved/nonprofits/>. Donations made to the Oregon Cultural Trust result in money going to cultural projects and organizations, including heritage organizations and projects, across the State of Oregon.
For more information on the tax credit visit http://culturaltrust.org/get-involved/donate/.
NEW OREGON STEWARDSHIP AWARD OPEN FOR NOMINATIONS
UO Museum of Natural and Cultural History is announcing its new Oregon Stewardship Award. The $1,000 award recognizes an individual, school, non-profit, or community group that has engaged its community in an environmental or cultural heritage project-one that aligns with the museum's mission to inspire stewardship of our collective past, present, and future.
In addition to the cash prize, the recipient will be recognized at a special award reception, in MNCH publications, and on the Oregon Heroes display panel in the museum's Explore Oregon<http://natural-history.uoregon.edu/exhibits/explore-oregon> exhibit. The recipient will be announced in the spring of 2018.
The 2018 nomination period is now open. Online nomination forms<http://natural-history.uoregon.edu/oregon-stewardship-award-2018> must be completed and submitted by Monday, January 15, 2018.
Learn more at http://natural-history.uoregon.edu/oregon-stewardship-award-0
SAHMDR CALL FOR PAPERS AND GRANT APPLICATIONS
The Society of Architectural Historians, Marion Dean Ross (Pacific Northwest) chapter is pleased to announce the Call for Papers for our upcoming annual conference in Astoria, Oregon from May 18-20, 2018. The theme of the conference is, "Constructing Community: Architecture, Diversity, and Identity in the Pacific Northwest." Submissions for 20-minute papers or 10-minute work-in-progress presentations are welcome. As usual, proposals that address the theme are encouraged, but those covering any aspect of the built environment of the Pacific Northwest or elsewhere will be considered. We are also soliciting applications for our grant programs, the Elisabeth Walton Potter (EWP) Research Awards and the Wendell Lovett Student Research Awards. Submissions for all are due February 12, 2018. For more information, please see the SAHMDR website at: http://sahmdr.org/conference.html or SAH MDR blog at https://sahmdr.wordpress.com/"
Share your photos of Oregon's heritage on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter using #oregonheritage.
Oregon Heritage News is a service of Oregon Heritage, a division of the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. The news editor can be contacted at heritage.info at oregon.gov<mailto:heritage.info at oregon.gov>.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 30288 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the Heritage